ironmike
ironmike, ASE Master Tech L1
Experience:  30 years exp imports
11302663

2003 nissan altima: v6..check engine light comes..timing

MY Shop recently did a valve job on 2003 nissan altima 3.5l v6 and it seems to hav a slight miss still. The check engine light comes on and says timing advanced. We have changed cam sensors. Checked the timing chains several times and still has the same problem. Any suggestions?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.

greetings,

Can you check the vvt advance? Did you verify the vvt solenoids are working?what did the inside of the engine look like when the chains were done? why did you do the chains and what was the original issue?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The engine had a blown head gasket. I'm not sure how to check the vvt solenoids. We took the engine out of the car and put a used engine in. There is only a slight miss and the engine will shake a little. When you drive the car it drives ok. At idle only has a slight miss and the engine shakes. After driving for a hour or so it continues to get worse.This problem is only at idle. We did not put new timing chains. We had to take them off and put them back on. We have checked them 3 times with our books and computer print out all the marks are correct. We did do a valve job on the original engine and the block ended up being warped so it continued to leak from headgasket, so thats why we put the used engine in. The weird thing is after doing first headgasket job it had idle problem and slight miss, then we found out block was warped and heads were not good. This time used complete engine and it does same thing. We checked headgaskets on this engine and they are ok. I dont know what it could be at this point. Harmonic balancer? timing is still off somehow?

Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.
Ok, Used engine. I would check compression, leak down and if all good swap injectors. Did you swap the cam sensors?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I put all new injectors. We have all different cam sensors and have replaced them a couple of times. We just pin point one problem that makes it run the right way
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.
what did you pin point
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we haven't pin pointed anything. Everything test ok. Its a slight miss at idle that's it. It is weird proplem. It has nissan cam sensors and coils. Two different sets of injectors.
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.
I had a 2005 GM truck give me a miss at idle(#2 cylinder) and it went away off idle.I watched it on a misfire graph. It turned out to be a valve sealing issue. The fix was to replace the cylinder head. I will check more if this applies here.
ironmike, ASE Master Tech L1
Experience: 30 years exp imports