Adin3
Adin3, Nissan Mechanic
Experience:  Autozone Manager 3 years, mechanic 10 years

How do you change Infiniti QX4 2001 spark plugs and coil packs

how do you change Infiniti QX4 2001 spark plugs and coil packs
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Adin3 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

It's actually a little tricky to repalce the coils and spark plugs. Also the car has individual coils, and there is no reason to replace all the coils. You only replace coils if they are defective according to the code that you have stored in the system.

Here are the instructions to replace the coils and pulgs.

3.5L Engine

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the engine cover.
  3. Remove the air duct with air cleaner assembly.
  4. Disconnect the harness connectors and harness brackets around ignition coil sides.
  5. Remove the electric throttle control actuator. (Only when removing the No. 4 cylinder spark plug)
  6. Disconnect ignition coil harness connectors.
  7. Loosen ignition coil mounting bolts and pull out coil from rocker cover.
  8. Use a spark plug socket to remove the spark plug from the cylinder head.
  9. Inspect the spark plug and check the gap, as outlined under Inspection.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Right bank ignition coil-3.5L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Left bank ignition coil-3.5L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Use a spark plug socket to remove the spark plugs

To install:

1. Install the spark plug and tighten to 15 - 22 ft. lbs. (20 - 30 Nm).
  2. Install the ignition coil and tighten the retainers to 76 - 95 inch lbs. (8.5 - 10.8 Nm).
  3. Attach the ignition coil harness connectors.
  4. If the No. 4 spark plug was removed, install the electric throttle control actuator.
  5. Install the harness brackets and connectors.
  6. Install the air cleaner assembly and air duct.
  7. Install the engine cover.
  8. Connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You Adin- I will show this to my friend and hopefully he can do this- couple a questions-where is best place to buy parts- is Auto Zone or similar OK- can they do this in my garage without raising car on lifts- is there a special spark plug socket for infiniti- any other special equipment needed

thanks Ursula
Expert:  Adin3 replied 4 years ago.

Please take my advice.

Do not change all the coils, it will cost you very much money. You do not need to change all the coils. Scan the car and find out which cylinder is misfiring (autozone wills scan the car free), the replace the coil that corresponds to the cylinder that is misfiring. (only 1 coil)

Autozone parts or similar are O.K. to use.

You do not need to raise the car.

It is a common spark plug socket, no special equipment needed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You are great- can I request you specifically next time?-Now that I know you are so good I will mark the $30 box next time
Expert:  Adin3 replied 4 years ago.

You absolutely can, just when you are writing the question address it to my name (Adin3) .

Thank you very much, I appreciate the compliments.

Good luck and have a great day!

Adin3, Nissan Mechanic
Experience: Autozone Manager 3 years, mechanic 10 years