Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2007 Nissan Xterra: wont start..first try..clicking, it cranks

I have a 2007 Nissan Xterra, and I am having troubles getting it to start. It wont start on the first try, but will start after a few tries. It is not just clicking, it cranks over, but the engine just doesn't fire up. I just had the fuel pump and sensor that is attached to the fuel pump replaced, but the problem happened again one day later. What else could be wrong if there is a new fuel pump in there now?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

I have seen allot of IPDM issues, where the IPDM control unit sends incorrect voltage to the fuel pump, or ignition circuit. I have also seen the Ecm relay fail in the IPDM also. I would try swapping the Ecm relay in the IPDM with the Fog light one and see if the problem stops. This trick works 50% of the time. The only way to verify if this would be with a ohm meter checking the circuit. The IPDM never sets a code or turns on the Service Engine Soon light.

I would have that checked. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I identify which is the ECM relay I need to test vs. which is the one for the Fog light?

If the ECM relay is the issue, does the entire IPDM need to be replaced, or just the faulty ECM?

Thanks for the help!
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
I had send that information to you in your first question. Did you not swap the relay?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!