Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to repair all makes and models.
3827149

My 2003 Murano is leaking oil and the puddle is close to the

My 2003 Murano is leaking oil and the puddle is close to the front passenger tire. It seems worse if I turn my steering wheel to the right when I park.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ok are you sure its oil not power steering fluid?

Edited by cardoctor69 on 1/12/2010 at 7:55 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ok there are alot of issues with the oring leaking at the oil filter housing.He needs to check this.Heres a diagram for him to check.Also he needs to see if its dripping from the top down.Best thing to do is add dye to the oil then drive 30 miles or so and check the entire engine over with a black light .He will definately be able to pinpoint the leak then.

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Why is there a difference between the leakage when I park with the wheels straight or with the wheels turned right. In order to fit in my garage, I have to turn the wheels sharply to the right and the leak is worse in that position.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Thats why I was wondering if it was power steering fluid .Having the wheels turned more to one direction will cause the fluid to leak more.It also looks like oil but smells diffrerent.I would have that checked also.With the oil leak turning the wheels will not make a difference.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Makes sense, but my oil level is dropping.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ok like I stated have him check the power steering also.Have the die added to the oil then have the car in his shop overnite with the wheels in the same position as in you garage and im sure he will find the leak.Also check you power steering level in the meantime and see if its low also.