Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Nissan sentra gxe: our relay to the fuel pump..getting power..ground

we tested our relay to the fuel pump on our 03 nissan sentra gxe and we are getting power, but the ground isnt getting any where does the ground lead to?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Here is the wiring diagram for the fuel pump circuit along with where the grounds are located.graphicgraphic

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where are those wires exactly located?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Did you replace the cam sensor?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No we, didn't.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
oops disregard the cam sensor. My bad, wrong question. Working on two 2003 Sentra's. Got confused.

Those ground wires are located at the bottom of the front seat belts. Remove that pillar cover and it should be right behind the pre tensioner. I sent you a image of it's location.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay, so we checked the ground wires and we are getting power with our tester. The problem in the first place is that the fuel pump isn't getting any power. Our car turns but it's not firing, no fuel is getting through. The pumps just not pumping and we got another one. So i doubt two could be bad
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
You said in your first comment, that you are getting power to the fuel pump? Are you getting power?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, we aren't getting any power to the fuel pump. We tested the fuel pump relay with a positive and a ground to make sure the relay works and it does because it clicks, we tested it with a 12 volt charging system. The next thing we did was put the relay back into the wiring harness but it didnt make the clicking noise, so we tested the power wire and the neg wire, and we have a solid power connection, but the neg isn't reacting. The reason why we think this is because I hooked the test light to a power source and touched the neg wire and it didn't react. So that's why we think we have a bad ground, but we checked the body grounds between the two doors and they are grounded. Thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
You did check to see if the fuel pump fuse is good right? Also see if the fuse is getting power?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
our fuse boxes have no stickers, where would the fuel pump fuse be located?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The fuses are fine, and we are getting power to the relay. But the relay is not clicking when we turn on the key to the on posiiton, would you have a diagram/schamatic of the relay wiring itself.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Your confusing me. I thought you said the relay clicked?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Check this fuse.graphic

Let me know, I will need to go off line soon. If I go off line, I will be back on tomorrow evening around 7 pm EST.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it did when we tested it outside of the car with a battery. .
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Check that other fuse I sent you a image of and let me know. I will not be on much longer.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay, we checked it and it's good, we are not getting any power on the B/P wire from the relay
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
That is a ground. You won't get power there. Do you have power at pin number 1 at the fuel pump relay? The brown wire? If you do, then just ohm that Black and Pink wire to the Ecm, using the wiring diagram I gave you. If you have continuity, then you may have a bad Ecm not grounding the fuel pump relay. The ecm has a 8 year or 80 k mile warranty.

I am off for the night. If you have any more questions on this, I will be on tomorrow evening.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We're confused. In our car, the black and red wire is getting power but is connected to the #2 pin in the circuit relay. When we tried to ohm test the black and pink wire in the relay which is in the #1 pin to the ECM and used the pin #113 on the ECM we didn't get a response, however when we touched the black and red wire the ohms connected. It's clear that it isnt the same as in the disgram you provided, and is probably the problem, what's the next best thing to do?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
What size engine do you have and is it California emissions?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's a 1.8L , I don't know if it's california, emissions, we got it 2nd hand
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
ok, let me look at the diagram again for you. There was 2 different ones, California and non California emissions. I gage you the diagram for California, so I guess you have just federal.

Give me a few, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
I just double checked the diagrams for you. They are the same diagram. I don't know if you checked it right or not, but I gave you the correct wiring diagram.

I gave you all the information I can possibly give you to diagnose your problem.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay, thanks Jay really appreciate it
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!