Nathan, Nissan Technician
Experience:  17+ sole Nissan Experience, Master ASE and Master Nissan trained.

i have a 2002 nissan xterra na 3.3 and i cant find a puller

i have a 2002 nissan xterra na 3.3 and i cant find a puller to remove the crank pulley aka harmonic balancer. needs timing belt bad but cant get that off and nobody has a tool to remove it. any suggestions. ive got to pullers, a 3 jaw and the one that looks like a steering wheel puller but the pulley has no holes for bolts
The puller I use it a very inexpensive 4 fingered puller. Mine cost about $10.00 at a parts store. You can buy more expensive ones but it isn't needed. You just need the standard universal puller. i will see if I can find an illustration for you. I will post it in a moment.

Here is a puller set that I found that looks like mine. This particular set costs $25.00

You can find cheaper sets that don't come with as many bolts.

For your application you will need two 6mmX1.0 threaded bolts approximately 2-3 inches long. You will thread these into the two holes in the face of the crank pulley. The holes might be rusty but they are there. Spray some wd-40 or run a tap in the hole first if you have one.

Edited by Nathan on 1/5/2010 at 2:59 AM EST
Any parts store should have one of these generic pullers.