Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2004 Nissan Titan: my truck to tow..temp gauge..transmission fluid

I have a 2004 Nissan Titan and just before I bought it (in 2007) there was a repair done on a leaking transmission line. I am using my truck to tow and noticed that the transmission temp gauge was always getting very hot so I would have to downshift A LOT. I thought something might be wrong so I took it back to Nissan and as it turns out they had forgotten to put transmission fluid in it. They checked the status of the transmission and say the transmission was fine but I am having some problems now like a noise in the rear when I take off and I towed again this weekend and the transmission was acting very funny. Also the service engine soon light came on. Any ideas?
Hello and thank you for using

How long ago did you have the trans service done, where they forgot to add fluid? Also, do you know what code you have stored for the Service Engine Soon light?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Jay, thanks so much for responding! Here is the story in more detail. I bought the truck and saw the transmission line leak as we were pulling out of the lot, the dealer told us to bring it back the next day for repair and I did so. That was in Feb 2007. Then I got the truck back and continued with no problems until about 6 months later after I had towed my toy hauler. I do have a tow package.The transmission wanted to overheat so I had to keep downshifting (only using 4th and downshifting to 3rd) to keep it from reaching H. So I returned from my trip and brought it to a friend of mine that is a transmission mechanic and asked him if he knew anything about this scenario. He checked the fluid and well low and behold, there was NONE. I brought it back to Nissan and told them that not only did they forget to fill the fluid but I towed with it and the transmission would not stay cool and etc. They refilled it and checked it (diagnostics) and said it was fine. Is that possible??? That was in July / Aug 2007. Then inXXXXXseal (drivers side) started leaking and were replaced on warranty and now since oct / nov 2009, my rear end makes a wierd noise on take off like something is hitting it or banging, could be drive, tranny, diff..I don't know but I took the chance and went out again this weekend with my toy hauler and had serious problems again with the transmission and now the service engine light is on. I have not had the chance to check the code because I only returned last night but I am really upset with the way the transmission is reacting to hauling (especially since this truck is meant to do this) and I need to know if there is someything I can do to check if my transmission is damaged and maybe this is where the sound is coming from? I am confused by the series of events but this is what is happeneing. First the transmission fluid, then the drive seals, then the loud noise (bang like) on take off, the transmission still overheats (with filled fluid) and now the service engine soon. I will take any help I could get especially what to say to the dealership since I believe it was their fault to begin with. I do have the extended warranty. Thank you so much for any assistance.
How many miles do you have on this truck? Also if you can give me your Vin number so I can check the warranty statues on your truck along with your extended.

Let me know, Thanks Jay!

Edited by Jay on 1/4/2010 at 7:35 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Jay, I just crossed 60,000 this past week so I would say, 60600 or so. My VIN is 1N6AA07B54N549644. Thank you so much!

The Nissan Data base is down. If it's Ok with you Dondi, I will run it again later, to see what I can find out for you.

I would like to start by seeing what kind of extended warranty you have. If you have a extended warranty, and it's not expired, then there is a good chance that the transmission would be covered under warranty. You would just need to bring it to the dealer to have them check it for you. I will still try to see what I can find out for you. It's the beginning of the month, Nissan's data base is always down sometime in the beginning of the month.

I will get back to you. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sounds good to me, I will wait for sure. I will take it to check the codes today after work and I can tell you tomorrow what they have said. In your opinion do you think this is a damaged tranny? Thank you Jay.

It may have prematurely burnt some of the clutchs, which may have shortened the life of the trans. Once you have the codes, and I have checked Nissan's data base, we will have all our ducks in a row so you can go to Nissan.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Jay, I went yesterday to a place here that checks codes and the first thing he said to me was, "have you had a transmission problem recently". So he told me that it was reading a problem with the transmission. Certainly I am sure that this is the problem since 2007 but now I am uncertain with how I am going to properly deal with the situation. Also, I know now that the Titans have a consistent problem with the rear drive axle (as I said my seal was changed already) but now I believe the noise I am hearing (clunk like sound on takeoff) is this same problem that hundreds of other have reported. Is this possible? Do you see rear drive axle problems quite a bit? Would this be under my warranty? Oh how frustrating. Thank you very much Jay.

Ok, I finally got into the Nissan data base for you.

Your extended warranty contract is good till 7-14-10 or 100k miles. So if you have any type of transmission issue, it will be covered. The only thing you would have to pay is the $50 deductible.

You also have a open recall PB081 for the condenser fan. So you may want to have that done also while they take care of your transmission issue. I see that Thoroughbred Nissan in AZ seems to be the place you have been going to. So just call and make a appointment with them to bring it to them to have them check it for you.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. thanks Jay!