Nathan, Nissan Technician
Experience:  17+ sole Nissan Experience, Master ASE and Master Nissan trained.
19225669

My 2000 Infiniti I30 will not start. The battery is new and

My 2000 Infiniti I30 will not start. The battery is new and is fine. The engine revs but there is no clicking sound and it will not turn over. I replaced the alternator about a year ago. Could it be the starter, alternator, or something else? It had been sitting in the garage in cold weather for about four days when this happened. I'm sure that the battery is fine.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
Try this and let me know what happens.

Turn your headlights on and have someone watch them while you crank the vehicle. Tell me if the headlights go out or dim badly while your cranking the vehicle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well...it started this time, albeit roughly and just barely. The headlights dimmed when I cranked the engine. It started to idle roughly and then I gave it some gas and it smoothed out. White smoke started to billow out of the exhaust pipe but has cleared up. Any idea what the problem could be? I am going to let it idle for a while
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
The smoke is because the engine was likely severely flooded from your attempts to start the vehicle. If the vehicle was just barely cranking over then you may have a battery issue. I know you said that the battery was new but I have seen many new batteries fail. The fact that the headlights dimmed also supports this theory. My advice would be to have your battery and charging system tested to make sure.

Also a little advice in case your not already aware of it, When starting your vehicle always let the engine run at least a full minute before shutting it off again. (this prevents flooding from ocurring)
When cranking your vehicle make sure you crank it long enough for the engine to start. If you just barely bump the starter, each time you cycle the key and bump it again will result in even more fuel in the cylinders, which would lead to a flooding condition.
Nathan, Nissan Technician
Experience: 17+ sole Nissan Experience, Master ASE and Master Nissan trained.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was wondering if it could maybe be the exhaust system...just based on the fact that has idled roughly lately especially when it has been sitting. OK I'll check the battery again. I'm glad it was not a starter or an alternator. Is there anything else you would recommend?
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
The only way an exhaust system would cause a problem would be if the exhaust were restricted but I doubt that is your issue.
As for it running rough, at least for this instance, is likely due to the flooding.

As for other things to check just make sure your airfilter is clean and that your running the recommended oil viscosity. 5w30 is the correct oil for cold climates. Or you can use synthetic.

Let me know how your battery test comes out.