Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2004 Nissan Maxima: The ABS Brake light is on solid..codes mean

The ABS Brake light is on solid in my 2004 Nissan Maxima. Could the sensor be bad, or maybe just dirty? How can I check the code to see what the problem is, and what do each of the codes mean?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Do you find that the ABS intermittently activates when braking?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No the light stays on solid everytime I start the engine.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.

Well the first thing you will need to do is check for codes. You will need a scanner to do that.

I can only tell you the most common thing I have seen, which could be your problem.

The rear hubs from what I have seen build up rust due to the water channel in the knuckle getting clogged. So when this happens, the rust build up on the hub now effects the distance of the sensor and most cases starts to rub on the sensor which shorts out the sensor. Then the next phase after that is the sensor shorts out the ABS control unit.

So you will need to check the codes. If you have any rear ABS sensor or control unit code, check the rear sensors. You will see one of the corners have a rub mark. Check both! The hubs may need to be replaced and the knuckle may need the water channel grind down and opened up so it doesn't happen again.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

I will be out tonight and won't be home till late, so I may not be able to respond if you have any more questions till some time tomorrow.

Thanks Jay!

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you recommend a code checking device? A price, model #, and where to purchase? Where are the sensors located on the rear wheel? Would the work be difficult to perform if I do it myself? Thanks for your help.