brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

$938 to Replace Valve Cover Gasket on Nissan Van.

Customer Question

Someone wants to charge me $938.00 to replace the valve cover gasket on my 1996 Nissan Quest van. Seems kind of pricey to me. I found the Valve Cover Gasket Set; w/Grommets; PermaDryr molded rubber gskts. incl at Advance Auto Parts for $33.39. Is there $900.00 in labor to do this? Thanks, Becky.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
It is about a 4 hour job and the average labor rate is around $100.00. So this is about $400.00 in labor........unless they are doing more than valve cover gaskets they are way over priced!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you. They want to replace the valve cover gasket because they said they noticed it was leaking oil a little bit. My oil light hasn't come on or anything nor has anyone ever told me my oil was low when I've gotten it changed, so I'm sure it's not a big leak, if even a leak at all. If I just make sure I've got oil, then do you think I could get away with replacing the gasket later?

They are also telling me it will cost $735 to replace the timing belt, $339 to replace a broken engine mount in the back and $597 to replace an inner tire rod. I just don't have the money for everything.

Thanks, Becky.

Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
As long as you do not let the engine run low on oil then yes you can wait to have this repair done.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.

No worries.....

Good Luck,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

FYI, I talked them down from $938.00 to $469.00. Cool!

Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
AWESOME!!! Knowledge is power! It is a shame you had to go through all the trouble but well worth it. Have a great new years!