Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2002 Nissan Altima: sligh hesitation when starting to accelerate

I have a 2002 Nissan Altima that is doing two things. First I get a sligh hesitation when starting to accelerate from a stop if I just ease off the start. When I go ahead and give it some gas it takes off with no hesitation. The second issue I'm having is a ticking type noise on acceleration. When I am up to speed the noise doesn't stand out but an acceleration brings it out again. Any ideas where I should start looking for the problem?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on? What make spark plugs did you install?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have any service engine lights coming on. I'm not sure on the spark plugs. I had the tune-up done at the local Nissan dealership. I can find that out if it would help.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
If you had it done at the dealer, then most likely the correct make plugs were used.

I would have the MAF sensor checked. I would have a scanner hooked up to the car and monitor the Air and Fuel mixture to see if it's with in spec. If not, then the MAF sensor could be causing your problems.

As far as this ticking noise, most likely the noise you are hearing is the injectors. The injectors tick rather loud. The engine doesn't have any lifters so that is not the noise. Noises can be very tough to figure out with out hearing them.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask Thanks Jay!