97 Nissan pickup: cyl..rotate starter..disconnect..wiring..solenoid

Customer Question

When changing the starter on a 97 Nissan pickup truck w/4 cyl. engine, is it easiest to remove the two mounting bolts, rotate starter, then disconnect wiring from solenoid?? If not, what's the procedure?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX is easiest to remove the bolts and pull the starter out slightly and down, this will let you get to the wires easier,Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Tim,

The new ("rebuilt") starter is slightly longer than original, with a tag on the starter stating both types are used. (Just for info, in case it matters) (Nismo wanted $300 for a new one) Is the wiring harness for the starter secured to anything near the solenoid, or will it just drop down, and, how much slack is there in the wiring harness? (approximately) In following the wire harness near the soilenoid with my fingers, it feels pretty snug.

Sure would have been nice to have the solenoid located on the right side or bottom of the starter, but as a mechanic you probably come across this daily!!! The design Engineers don't have to work on em.

Armed with the above information, I'll give it a go.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
If you unbolt the starter, it will drop down about three inches, this will allow just enough room to unhook the wires, but you are right, the design could have been better,Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the quick response. That'll give me an idea of how much wiring I have to play with. I'll give it a go.

Thanks again,

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
anytime my friend, if you need more help, then just reply to this question,Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When I was younger, (in the 60's) I used to enjoy working on cars, which were at that point in time, all American, not necessarily better, just all made in America. They were made back then with plenty of room to work on just about any part of the vehicle, with a few exceptions. Now I work on my vehicles due to financial restraints, rather than the enjoyment of it.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
LoL. it aint the same anymore,Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Done deal. If you get this one again, the clutch slave cylinder has to be removed to get the starter out of the bottom. Not a big deal, no alternative. Also allows more room to get to the top starter bolt.

I've been putting this off for 6 months. The thrill of victory!! Occasionally, the heartbreak of defeat!!!

Thanks again.