Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2002 nissan altima: is my first winter with the car and its cold

I have a 2002 nissan altima and the heat does not work. I bought the car in June of 2009 - this is my first winter with the car and it's cold. Help!
Hello and thank you for using

Do you get any warm air at all when driving?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
occasionally I will get warm air when I'm driving. When the car is stopped at a light I get cold air.
It sounds like your coolant system just needs to be bleed. If you get some heat when driving, and it gets cold when you stop, that sounds like the coolant system needs to be bleed.

To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket. Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine a few times to move the coolant around to get the air out. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat.graphicgraphic

If you can't get a coolant bucket, you can try to make one. Here is a image showing what one looks like home made.graphic

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What if I was getting no warm air at all would it be the same fix? My wife just told me that she hasn't felt any warm air come out at all - even after driving the car for 10 minutes. Some of these ten minutes is stopped at lights. The car has never been driven more then 45 minutes continuosly and the furthest trip would be 10-15 miles.
Well, that would be the first thing I would try to see if I can get the heat working. Since Nissan coolant systems, when they aren't bleed properly will not blow any heat at idle. I would also check the temperature cable off the controller. If that is hooked up and working, then it's got to be a air pocket in the coolant system.

Thanks Jay!