Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2000 nissan pathfinder: that will crank, but wont start..belts..mins

i have a 2000 nissan pathfinder that will crank, but won't start intermittantly. the concern started after the customer had the belts replaced. Note: when the vehicle decides to run, it will run for a few mins. (10-15) then sputter and dye.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Are you a repair shop?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Did you check injector pulse? Also take a fuel sample.

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

fuel is good, has a good strong injector pulse. if it helps, after the vehicle stalled, i tried to restart again and it just cranked. then after i let the key go the engine started to diesel and sputtered a couple of times and almost started. I'm a ford tech. just trying to help and friend and got into a can of worms.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
HEHE, no problem. Lets see if we can figure this thing out.

When you do get this running, can you tell me what the Air and Fuel mixture is at idle. LT ST FT

Let me know, Thanks Jay!

Edited by Jay on 12/23/2009 at 1:44 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

long-97

short-95 at idle.

the vehicle died shortly after i got it started. it seems to just want to crank and not start again, but it did run for a short period of time

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Now, when it doesn't want to start, it's missing something. It has to be lossing spark or injector pulse or fuel or something. Did you put a fuel pressure guage on the truck?

Some times it's easier to figure out a problem when the truck isn't actually starting, if you know what I mean. The fact that is does, is what it throwing you off.

Let me know if you checked these items when it doesn't want to start and what fuel pressure is.

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there's no pressure schrader valve correct? where do i tap into the line?

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
No there isn't. You have to have a in line or T-type to go in line with the fuel line. So you remove the fuel line from the injector rail, insert it into the guage, then you will need a piece of hose from the other end of the guage to the injector rail.

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

koeo key on engine off fuel line pressure @70 psi

and i do have spark.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
70!!! it should only be around 36 psi!!! you sure you have 70?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it has bled down to 60 psi in the last minute or so. but yeah it was at 70. maybe a bad pressure regulator?

.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Pull a couple spark plugs and see if they are wet with fuel. It sounds like you have way to much fuel pressure and the fuel may be loading up the cylinder washing out the cylinders and lowering compression which will make it hard to start.

Try this and see if it starts. Pull the fuel pump fuse. Pull the spark plugs and see if they are wet, if they are, then dry them out. Crank the engine with the plugs out to dry out the cylinders. Then install the plugs, and leave the fuse out for the fuel pump and take a can of carb cleaner and slip a spray straw into the intake duct and see if you can get the truck to run off the carb cleaner. If it does, then you know it's a fuel delivery problem. Where 70 psi already sounds like thats the problem. That is way to high! With that much pressure, there may be injector issues also.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you jay. sounds like a fuel pump or possibly a relay sticking.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Something definitely doesn't sound right there!

Thanks for the bonus. Have a happy holiday.

Thanks Jay!