Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL PERFORMANCE. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1987 Pickup: Truck wont..wont start..oil fuel filter

My 1987 Pickup Truck won't start... it turns over but doesn't catch. It did this before and after being threatened by city police to move the vehicle off a public street, it magically started. I then took the truck to get an oil change including a new fuel filter and it ran for a good few weeks. Now we're back to square 1 and the darn thing just won't start. After taking apart the air cleaner, it seems it's getting fuel but perhaps there isn't spark. We cleaned the distributor cap contacts, but that didn't seem to help. Any thoughts?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

Does your starter engagde when it does not start?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How would I be able to tell? When I turn the key, everything happens like it should- the engine turns over- but the engine doesn't catch.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.