Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Am changing the power steering belt on a 95 Nissan truck.

Customer Question

Am changing the power steering belt on a 95 Nissan truck. The tensioner pulley seems to not be turning. Is it supposed to and how can I fix it?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Here is a image on how to change the power steering belt.graphic

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Done all that and put the belt back on and tighten everything up. My problem is the tensioner pulley does not want to turn. I think it is supposed to. If not, will the belt stop smoking after a while or will it go ahead and break?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Which belt is smoking? The adjuster doesn't turn?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The belt goes around what seems to be the power steering pump, the crankshaft at the bottom and a pulley attached to an adjuster. I replaced that belt this morning and the new belt began smoking. I looked and that tensioner pulley is not turning. The belt is smoking as it goes around it. Didn't look right.

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Then most likely that tensioner pulley is seized, and that is why it's not turning and that is why the belt is smoking. You will need to remove the belt and check that pulley. If seized, it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How do I replace that pulley?

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
After you have removed the belt. The 14 mm bolt that you crack loose so you can move the adjuster. Remove that completely and the pulley comes off. Just watch the washers and such when removing.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have removed the bolt, a nut from the front of the pulley, and two washers. The pulley is not coming off. Is there anything else that needs to be removed?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
The bracket that holds that pulley is secured my if I remember correctly 3 bolts. either 12mm or 14mm. You will then need to remove the entire pulley bracket. But most likely the pulley is seized on the shaft that goes through it. I would just remove the whole pulley bracket assembly so you can work on it better.

Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer