Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

1998 nissan Sentra: drivers side door..ignition system..parking lot

My son broke the key to his 1998 nissan Sentra in the drivers side door. He was able to get a locksmith to get the key removed but now the ignition system is disabled. He is in a parking lot about 325 miles away so any help we can forward to him would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
HI there! Does the car turn over?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, at this point he says the key won't turn in the ignition. I know it is a key that works. He did try with the spare key while the broken off key was still in the drivers side door and he said that he could get the ignition turned to get the fan, etc to work but it never turned over. Now the ignition won't move at all.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, Is this a key that the locksmith made?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actually, it is a key made by a duplicating machine, not a locksmith
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, he needs to go back to the spare key that will turn in the ignition. The problem is likely the key itself. There is mothing on the car that keeps the key from turning even if the security system is activated. It does cut the power to the starter.
Can he open any of the doors with the key? I am assuming he has no keyfob? Let me know!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He can open the doors with the key. Keyfob was lost years ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, have him try this with the spare key. Close and lock all the doors and the hood. This should set the security system. Then have him unlock the door with the key and wait 30 seconds. Then open the door and using the key that will turn in the ignition try to start the car. It takes 30 seconds for the alarm system to disarm and check all of the sensors. This should allow the car to turn over if this is the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You said that the security system cut power to the starter. Will this return power to the starter?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, once it is reset, then he should be able to crank the engine and the car should start. We have to eliminate the security system as the issue. He may just have a flay battery, but I want to make sure the security is not the problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks! XXXXX leave this question open until I learn the results of his attempt to reset the security system?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Absolutly!
I want to know how it goes!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, it doesn't work......son says he can open passenger door with spare key but not drivers side door. When he puts key in ignition he hears a click and then when he tries to turn ingition he hears another click. He has taken out fuses for horn and lights so they don't continue to go off.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, lets try this as i may have been mistaken. According to the owners manual, try sitting in the car with the key in the off position and lock all the doors. The hood and trunk must also be closed. They have sensors on them as well. Then you should be able to turn the key to the acc position or on position and it is suppose to turn the alrm off.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Son says the ignition still won't turn even as far as acc or on position. We don't have an owners manual which is probably some of the problem. Now son is wondering about hotwiring it somehow to bypass security system?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
HERE is a link to the owners manual. It is not a security issue if he can't turn the key. It is a key or ignition switch issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have had the suggestion that he have a locksmith come out, pull the ignition cylinder and free it and then key it to the existing key. The thought being that the tumblers in the ignition are worn and that is why the duplicate key doesn't work. What are your thoughts?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
I agree with you there, but at the beginning he had a spare key that was turning the ignition. this is the key he should be using to try and start the car after we turn the security off with the procedures I gave to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But that spare key doesn't turn the ignition anymore and it just turned it just ONE time only to the acc or on position. Then it wouldnot turn it that far any more. The only time it sort of worked was while the original key was stuck in the driver's door lock.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, have him try with the spare key, wiggling the steering wheel back and for th while turning the key. Did not realize that one was not working! Sorry!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK--he was able to get the ignition to turn but the engine doesn't turn over or even make any sounds of turning over. The air comes on so battery isn't totally dead. Next step?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
well, hae him put the fuse back in for the horna and see if the alarm is still going off. Let me know!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes the alarm was still going off
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Lets see if we can now disable the alarm using the techniques I gave youi earlier. Close everything and lock it down. Then use the key to unlock the door and wait the 30 seconds. Let me know!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The key does not unlock the drivers side door so he says if he goes in through the passenger side the alarm will just go off again.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Should not matter. Any lock will work, he can do it from the trunk if he wants to. It is tied into all of the door locks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The ignition does not turn over. He did not replace the fuses on the lights & horn before locking, waiting 30 secs, key in ignition..
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, we can try to bypass the theft relay and see if the car will fire. We need a small piece of wire to do this.Does he or can he access a smal piece of wire? About 4-6 inches and he will have to be able to remove the theft relay under the hood. It should be labeled.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He says there are 3 breakers labelled antitheft 1,2 &3. There is also a smaller fuse labelled antitheft 7.5a. He removed the smaller breker. now he is getting a wire coathanger what should he do with it

7

3

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Wenned speaker type of wire for this a coat hanger won't do the trick. Have him flup the relay overthere should be numbers on the bottom of the relay. If it is the right relay, it should be numbered 1,2,3,4,5 let me know. The wiring diagrm doesn't tell me which number we need
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

would twist ties work for wire

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
we can try it. I think they will melt, but it might at least help us determine the problem and at least get the car started
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He is going to round up some wire. It may take a few minutes. Will you be online for a while yet?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Yepper! I am usually on till at least 10 pm EDT. I do break for fuel in between. I will get an email to let me know you replied.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are 3 breakers one has 12345 other two has 123567. He has decent wire
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, what he has to do ius take the jumper wire and place it in the relay holder. He needs to jump the locations of #3 and #4. Whever they corespond on the relay, is where the wire has to go in the holder. Hope this makes sense!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK he did that should he try to start the car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
yes
now it should try to crank the engine
he should at least hear a click
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he doesn't understand where the numbers correspond on the relay

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
ok. each number on the relay is one of the poles or tabs that are sticking out. When he flips the relay over, they will plug into the slots. So, he needs to determine where the number 3 and the number 4 would line up on the area where the relay plugs in. Then run the wire from one to the other. This will bypass the relay and make the connection
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

YeeHA! It started! Now what does he need to do? Besides let his battery charge up

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Well, I am glad it started! Have him plug the fuse for the horn back in and see if it stopped going off now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has stopped going off
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, tell him to turn the car off and replace the relay and try to start it. If it starts, then we are good to go! If not he will have to put the hot wire back in and drive it to the dealer because there is not much else we can do from here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It didn't start with the relay in place but it did restart with the hotwire so at least he can get home and we can get it taken care of. Thanks for all your help!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
YUou are very welcome! I was hoping the security system reset itself.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So when I make the appt for repair I should say that the security system won't reset?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, also let them know it all started with the door lock. They will probably want to replace that at least. This way he can turn the alarm off
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.