Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

96 nissan altima: cyl..whats..idles..miss..there is no ck eng light on

i have a 96 nissan altima 4 cyl that whats to stall out when giving gas or it dose stall out but idles with a little miss now and then and there is no ck eng light on.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Hi there! Start by pulling off the distributor cap, then the rotor. Under the rotor is a plastic cover. Remove the cover and see if there is oil inside. If there is, the distributor will have to be replaced. Check it out and let me know! We can take it from there!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it acts like its starving for fuel but i have good psi
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
I understand and it may be, what about the distributor, have you looked under the plastic cover for oil?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its dry
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, What is the fuel pressure when you try to accelerate? How many psi?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
36 at idle and when i give it gas it goes to 46 psi
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, I suspect it needs a new mass air flow sensor. I would first have you check for any vaccum leaks. Take some carb cleaner and spray it around the intake manifold and vaccum hoses and see if the idle picks up. If not, I would say based oin the description it needs a new mass air flow. Make sure to use a nissan mass air flow and not an aftermarket. Also,make sure to disconnect the battery for about half an hour after you change the sensor. You want to reset the fuel trim back to zero, otherwise the car will run on the faulty stored fuel trim.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
cool ill order one and see what happens. The mass air flow sensor will not flag a ck eng light then??? I thout that it would
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Well, the mass air flow is funny. If you have a broken wire to it, or the wire inside it breaks, you will get the check engine light.
When it is working wrong, it is still sending a signal to the ecm. The problem is, the ecm can't tell the difference between a good signal and a bad signal. All it cares about is signal. So, in reality the car could be starving for fuel. If the ecm sees no change or low voltage from the mass air flow sensor, you will step oin the gas and the car will not supply enough fuel to run.
It is best to test this using a scan tool that can read the live data as it is being fed into the ecm. Then you could see it and go well that is wrong! I have my foot on the gas and it is still showing 2gms of air when it should be six!
The only other thought i have here is the TPS, but that will usually set the light,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
cool thanks for all your help.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome!
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.