Nathan, Nissan Technician
Experience:  17+ sole Nissan Experience, Master ASE and Master Nissan trained.
19225669

2005 Nissan Xterra: the ABS, VDC-off, & Slip lights come..brakes

I have a 2005 Nissan Xterra and the ABS, VDC-off, & Slip lights come on occasionally. Initially my brakes will act funny--they make a grinding noise and don't feel like they're fully enguaging. Then the lights come on and the brakes will work fine. It's almost like when the three lights come on the car has gone through a change (maybe like a "safe mode") and the brakes work fine. I had a mechanic friend check my brakes and he said they look fine and that he thinks the roght front ABS sensor is the problem. The part is on order and I am going to have it replaced, but I'm still concerned about the wierd feeling I got when the brakes would act up. Are the problems related? What are your thoughts on this? Thank you!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
The "weird" felling your getting is likely the ABS system activating because it thinks your in a skid due to the malfunctioning wheel speed sensor. I think that you should repair the malfunctioning sensor first and then once the vehicle is operating properly take it out an intentionally skid. I suggest this so that you can become familiar with what ABS activation feels like. Make sure you do this in a safe place away from other drivers and only do it at about 15-20 MPH.
Nathan, Nissan Technician
Experience: 17+ sole Nissan Experience, Master ASE and Master Nissan trained.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry I'm so chincy with $$. I lost my job in September which is why I'm terrified with having car trouble, as it always means $$$. I wanted to confirm what they said at the shop and you have done that. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
No problem, glad I could help out. I get complaints about weird feelings on brakes all the time and most of the time the feeling is the normal ABS activation.