Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Nissan altima: my steering wheel is locked up..push button..unlocks

my steering wheel is locked up on my nissan altima 2007,it is a push button start. the manual said to just turn it left to right until it unlocks did that for one hour want work.car will not let you start it because of this.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

The Altima push button start doesn't work that way. The steering lock is electrically controlled by the transponder in the remote. If it's not starting, I would insert the remote in the fob slot on the drivers side and see if that helps.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i tried that any other solutions you know of?my warranty is out,will it be expensive to fix?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Did you try your spare key also?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes, not starting still, the warning light for sterring wheel lock is still on, any suggestions

Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Well I hate to say it, it sounds like the keys may have lost there programing. If not programed it will not release the steering wheel lock. The only thing you can do is have it towed to the dealer. If the emergency key fob slot isn't working, then the computer can not recognize the keys, and the only way to reprogram the keys is to have the dealer do it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks