Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2007 Nissan Sentra. At times the Intelligent Key System

I have a 2007 Nissan Sentra. At times the Intelligent Key System doesn't work. There are times when it may take numerous tries to get the ingnition switch to move from the lock postion. I follow the guidance in the owners manual, but can you give me some insight as to the root cause. It's becoming increasingly more difficult to get it unlocked.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Do you find it happens after you have parked your car? It's mainly a steering lock problem correct?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's an issue when starting the vehicle. The steering wheel never locks up. You drive it, park it and later get in the vechicle to start it. This is when the problem is encountered. We followed the guidance, in the starting and driving section of the owners manual. The frenquency of the occurance has increased. About every other time that you try to start the vehicle this problem crops up.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
The problem is that the steering wheel is locked? and you can't turn the ignition? Or does the car crank no start?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The steering does not lock, the ignition locks.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Does using the physical key work properly? How many miles do you have on your car?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Using the key doesn't seem to work any better than the keyless fob. The same symptons still exist. You simply keep trying until it cranks. It has over 35000 miles. My wife, in an attempt to get it cranked, turned it all the way to the right this morning. The steering wheel is currently in a locked position. Of course it will not unlocked until the ignition turns, but the ignition is also locked. I may go back 30 minutes from now and it cranks or I keep working with it until it cranks.

Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Well if you have under 36k miles, I would bring it to the dealer before your car is out of warranty. This problem you are having is covered under your bumper to bumper warranty which is 3 years or 36k miles. Since you have under 36k miles, I would address this problem with the dealer, so it can be corrected at no charge for you.

It could be a problem with the Key Fob antenna. But the system should be checked to verify.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

...but even when the key is removed from the fob the same symptons are noted when attempting to start the car with the physical key. Does this shed any additional light.

Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
It could be something with the Key system or the ignition. I would have to manual check it and use a scanner to determine if all the Nats signals are present when the key is used. I would check all keys remotes, and keys to make sure they are all programed properly also. I would bring it to the dealer while still under warranty.