Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

replaced timing chains on 1998 Nissan 200SX (GA16DE). When

replaced timing chains on 1998 Nissan 200SX (GA16DE). When I put it back together both front and rear timing chain were on the marks perfectly. Hand cranked engine through a couple times. When I tried to start it it just turned. Took valve cover back off and the top timing cover for the cams. Everything is out two links - both crank and cam. Can I just move the cam chain back to the marks? And why would they have moved?
Hello and thank you for using

You can move them back the two links and I would think you should be fine. When doing timing chains, you have to watch 1 thing. No oil pressure on the tensioner can allow it to skip. That is why the fuel pump fuse should be pulled and turn the engine over a good couple times to build up oil pressure on the chain tensioner. When you don't do that and you fire it right up, the initial start and lack of oil pressure at the tensioner can cause the chain to jump.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Can I just move the cam chain without moving the crank chain - since I can't get to it now?

All you need to do is put the engine at TDC. Then remove the upper timing chain tensioner and one or both cam gears and turn the cams with a 21 or 22 mm wrench to put them back in line and reinstall the chain and tensioner. The front cam lobs should look like this.
Look at the cam lobs, not the timing marks. This is not your engines timing marks. I just want to show you the position of the cam lobs.

Then turn the engine over manually 2 times and put back at TDC and see if you cam lobs are in the same spot. If they are, put it all back together, pull the fuel pump fuse, crank it a few times, and then put the fuse in and start it.

Thanks Jay!