JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field uaw union member
6149662

How Do I Reset Service Engine Light on 370Z?

Customer Question

COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO RE-SET "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" LIGHT ON 370Z.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 7 years ago.
It would need to be rest with a hand held code reader ...available from most parts stores
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT CAN BE SET MANUALLY WITHOUT CODE READER. I KNOW THERE ARE SPECIFIC STEPS ONE MUST TAKE. YES, I CAN ALSO TAKE TO DEALER. IT'S UNDER WARRENTY. I DIDN'T ASK THE QUESTION TO GET AN ANSWER TO GO SPEND MONEY TO GET CODE READER. MY QUESTION WAS NOT ANSWERED AND DON'T FEEL PAYMENT IS DO FOR GENERIC ANSWER.

you can pull the battery cables to shut it off...but it reset the ecm to a not ready status. Likley the light will return. If it is under warranty wouldnt you rather have the problem fixed instead of a temporay turn off of the light?

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.

The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'VE BEEN OUT. SORRY IT TOOK TO NOW TO GET BACK WITH YOU. I PUT A GEN. 111 COLD AIR INTAKE ON AND HAD LEAK IN ONE OF THE TUBES. BAD CONNECTION. FIXED PROBLEM AND RE-SET . LIGHT WENT OUT. THANKS!
That will do it every time...Good thing you looked deeper. Because the light would have came back on
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
SORRY, HIT REPLY BEFORE ACCEPT.
no problem Thank you enjoy that car ...They are fun