Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2003 nissan pathfinder: LE...fuel guage...Also..the fuel tank and I

Customer Question

I owned a 2003 nissan pathfinder LE. The fuel guage is reading higher than the fuel present in the tank.Also,in fulling the tank, there is a pressure that is forcing the pump back and at times, the fuel overflows the fuel tank and I know for sure the tank is not full.After a few minutes, it would allow me to add more fuel. It's disgusting. Any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using

Sounds like you have 2 things going on. It sounds like you have a fuel level sensor issue, and a problem with the venting for the gas tank. If not vented properly it will kick back gas like you are describing. So you will need to check the fuel tank venting and the Evap system to make sure there is no restrictions, and you will need to check your fuel level sensor.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The sending unit was changed. How to check the venting and evap. system. I'm not a mechanic but I want to be knowledgable. The mechanic wanted to change the metering unit( fuel guage/speedometer etc.) Do you think this is a good idea.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Well until you get the fuel tank venting properly, it could be throwing off the reading a little. To locate the venting issue you need to pressurize the fuel tank and check hoses for venting. There is also a valve on the tank that could be bad. I would focus on the venting issue first. Once you can install gas properly and you know you have a fuel tank, then you can monitor the guage readings and see if there is a issue.

Thanks Jay!