JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field uaw union member
6149662

does anyone know what will fix the jerking (hard shifting)

does anyone know what will fix the jerking (hard shifting) for a 2004 nissan maxima? I have been told to replace transmission. I have been told that it was not the transmission, but an electrical problem. I have been told it was a speed control sensor. I have to give this car to my daughter in January for her 16th birthday and want to give her a safe car.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 5 years ago.

there is a solenoid issue with the maxima...I would have the computer scanned for tranny codes its likely this is the issue there is a service bulletin on this

A/T - Harsh 1-2 Shift/DTC P0745 Stored
Notes
Classification:
AT04-014

Reference:
NTB05-001

Date:
January 3, 2005

4 SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION HARSH 1-2 SHIFT AND/OR DTC P0745 STORED

APPLIED VEHICLES:
2003 - 2005 Altima (L31)
2003 - 2005 Sentra
2003 - 2004 Maxima (A33 and A34)
2004 Quest (V42)

APPLIED DATES: Vehicles built between:
December 1, 2002 and August 27, 2004

APPLIED TRANSMISSIONS:
4 speed A/T: RE4F04B and RE4F03B

IF YOU CONFIRM:

The transmission fluid is full (correct level) and in good condition (not burnt), and

^There is a harsh shift from 1st to 2nd gear, and/or

^DTC P0745 (line pressure solenoid circuit) is stored,

ACTIONS:

1.Drain and remove the transmission oil pan.

2.Push/pull the ground terminal and wire for the solenoid valve assembly (see Service Procedure step 4).

^If it doesn't come off, solder the terminal.

^If it does come off, replace the solenoid assembly.

3.After soldering, recheck the ground terminal and wire (see Service Procedure step 8).

^If it's tight, repair is complete.

^If it's loose, replace the solenoid assembly.

IMPORTANT: The purpose of "ACTIONS" (above) is to give you a quick idea of the work you will be performing. You MUST closely follow the entire Service Procedure as it contains information that is essential to successfully completing this repair.

PARTS INFORMATION

CLAIMS INFORMATION

SERVICE PROCEDURE

^Refer to the AT section in the appropriate Service Manual (ESM) for oil pan removal instructions.

2.Locate the ground terminal for the line pressure solenoid.

3.Remove the bolt and small bracket holding the ground terminal.

IMPORTANT: Make sure the metal washer that sits on the rubber grommet doesn't fall off.

4.Make sure the ground terminal will not pull completely off of the wire.

Use moderate force to pull/push the wire in and out of the terminal (no more than 5 lbs of pull force).

a.If the terminal pulls completely off the wire with 5 lbs of pull force, replace the solenoid valve assembly (see Parts Information).

^Refer to the AT section of the appropriate Service Manual (ESM) for solenoid replacement.

^Skip to step 11.

b.If the terminal does not pull completely off of the wire, go to step 5 and continue with this procedure.

5.Check the wire support crimp shown in Figure 5.

^If the support crimp is up as shown in Figure 5a, push it down as shown in Figure 5b.

6.Completely wash the ground terminal with Electrical Contact Cleaner and blow it dry.

IMPORTANT: If the ATF is not completely cleaned off of the terminal, the solder will not stick correctly.

NOTE:
^Use a local source for electrical contact cleaner.

^Nissan Trans Cooler Flush (999MP-AM006P) may also be used to clean the terminal (see Parts Information).

IMPORTANT: You must solder the terminal. Do Not attempt to tighten the terminal crimp by squeezing it with a crimp tool or pliers.

7.Apply heat and solder to the terminal as shown in Figure 7.

^Apply solder to end of the crimp on the exposed wire strands.

^Use high quality thin rosin-core solder, such as Radio Shack item # **0.032" dia., 2.5 oz, 60/40 (Lead/Tin), rosin-core solder or equivalent.

IMPORTANT:
^Clean/brush off any loose pieces of solder.

^Use the OK / NG photos shown below as a guide to make sure the solder is applied correctly.

NG:

This is a "cold" solder. The solder did not flow into the crimp and between the wire strands.

NG:

The solder flowed too far from the crimp and onto the terminal.

When the terminal is reinstalled the solder will be under the bolt washer and the washer will not seat flat.

OK:

The solder flowed into the crimp and between each of the wire strands.

The solder is not too far out on the terminal.

8.After you have completed the soldering, make sure the wire is tight in the terminal.

a.Use moderate force to pull/push the wire in and out of the terminal (no more than 5 lbs of pull force).

The wire should not move.

b.If the wire moves (is loose), replace the solenoid valve assembly (see Parts Information).

9.Make sure the metal washer is in place on the rubber grommet.

10.Reinstall the bolt and small bracket that holds the ground terminal.

^Tighten to 6.9 - 8.8 N.m (0.7 - 0.9 Kg-m, 61-78 in-lb)

11.Reinstall all other parts removed as per the appropriate Service Manual (ESM).

^Make sure to use new oil pan bolts (listed in the Parts Information).

^DO NOT re-use the old oil pan bolts.

12.Using CONSULT-II, erase all DTC's.

13.Test-drive to confirm the incident is fixed.
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech over 15 years in the field uaw union member