Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

no spark at plugs? 1997 altima

Customer Question

no spark at plugs? 1997 altima
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
HI there! This is a common problem which may be caused by the cam sensor inside the distributor. Pull the cap and rotor, then you will see another cover. Remove that cover and check for oil inside the distributor. If there is oil in there it is blocking the cam sensor and the distributor needs to be replaced. Take a look and let me know! Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you i will take a look at the distributor first and let you know
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Sounds good, also, if it looks good we need a test light to further troubleshoot.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the distributor looks good, there are two wire harnesses going into the distributor-one is the power transostor module and the other is the ignition power circuit. the ignition power circuit has two wires, black and green, i have no power to the black wire when i turn the key to on or start? shouldn't i have power there?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
OK, There is a black and red wire that goes to the condensor. Small round looking thing outside of the distributor. That should have power with the key on. Test that and let me know!
The black wire is a ground and should nbot have power.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there is no power on this wire to the condenser with the key on?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
OK, the b/r wire or the B/W wire, shouldn't matter, just need to know which wire to make sure we are both looking at the same wire
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i was wrong i do have power to the distributor when the key is on. i removed the cap and put my meter on one of the wires going into the cap- i get 15 volts when i turn the key on

i also ohmed out the distributor coil and i have continuity
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Ok, if you have power going in and nothing coming out it needs a distributor.