john t
john t, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  27 years experience foreign and domestic
6607327

i got the code p505 on the scanner saying idle control system.

Customer Question

i got the code p505 on the scanner saying idle control system. i changed the idle control valve but the car continues to idle up and down like it was doing before i changed the valve. the problem didn't stop and it continues to do the same thing
Category: Nissan
Expert:  john t replied 4 years ago.
you posted the question twice , please read my other post to you for the answer
john t, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 27 years experience foreign and domestic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i dont see your answer
Expert:  john t replied 4 years ago.
Question List - PM - Feedback - Reports - My Questions - Tools JustAnswer Nissan

i have a 2001 nissan maxima. i changed the idle control valve

Sent to Nissan Experts 11/26/2009 at 10:11 AM -- Report --Mis-CategorizedRefund RequestedSpam"Best Of" JAClose QuestionOpen QuestionToo DifficultDuplicate QuestionUnderpricedNonsensePersonal InfoUnderaged CustomerOther

i have a 2001 nissan maxima. i changed the idle control valve and the car still idles up and down and when you drive it the car loses power and seems like it doesnt want to go i keep get the p505 code on the scanner. can you help me figure this problem out

Optional Information:
Year: 2001
Make: Nissan

Already Tried:
i have changed the idle control valve but the problem still occurs to be happening

(Online) -- 1 Accept / 2 Questions (2 Open) Bookmark and Share You are watching. Click here to un-watch. Time Left: 1 day and 22 hours Status: Awaiting Customer Action Value: $9 Source: Web Answer EditSubmit this Q&A as an Expert Test Question 11/26/2009 at 10:35 AM (23 minutes and 33 seconds later)

try this , i assume you dont have access to the factory scan tool so follow the directions

for without scan tool. if this does not work , i suspect original problem was iac and iac

burned ecm.

DESCRIPTION
"Idle Air Volume Learning" is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific range. It must be performed under any of the following conditions:

PRE-CONDITIONING
Before performing "Idle Air Volume Learning", make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied.

Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.

• Battery voltage: More than 12.9 V (At idle)
  • Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 99 °C (158 - 210 °F)
  • PNP switch: ON
  • Electric load switch: OFF (Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)

On vehicles equipped with daytime Eight Systems, set lighting switch to the 1st position to light only small lamps.

• Cooling fan motor: Not operating
  • Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
  • Vehicle speed: Stopped
  • Transmission: Warmed-up For A/T models with CONSULT-II, drive vehicle until "FLUID TEMP SE" in "DATA MONITOR" mode of "A/T" system indicates less than 0.9 V .

For A/T models without CONSULT-II and M/T models, drive vehicle for 10 minutes .

OPERATION PROCEDURE

WITH CONSULT-II

1. Turn ignition switch "ON " and wait at least 1 second .
  2. Turn ignition switch "OFF " and wait at least 10 seconds .
  3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
  4. Check that all items listed under the topic "PRE-CONDITIONING" (previously mentioned) are in good order.
  5. Turn ignition switch "OFF " and wait at least 10 seconds .
  6. Start the engine and let it idle for at least 30 seconds .

View Full Image

View Full Image

View Full Image

1. Select "IDLE AIR VOL LEARN" in "WORK SUPPORT" mode.
  2. Touch "START " and wait 20 seconds .
  3. Make sure that "CMPLT" is displayed on CONSULT-II screen. If "INCMP" is displayed, "Idle Air Volume Learning" will not be carried out successfully. In this case, find the cause of the problem by referring to the NOTE below.

View Full Image

1. Rev up the engine two or three times. Make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within specifications.

WITHOUT CONSULT-II

View Full Image

1. Disconnect throttle position sensor harness connector (brown), then reconnect it within 5 seconds .
  2. Wait 20 seconds .
  3. Make sure that idle speed is within specifications. If not, the result will be incomplete. In this case, find the cause of the problem by referring to the NOTE below.

View Full Image

1. Rev up the engine two or three times. Make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within specifications. NOTE: If idle air volume learning cannot be performed successfully, proceed as follows:
  1. Check that throttle valve is fully closed.
  2. Check PCV valve operation.
  3. Check that downstream of throttle valve is free from air leakage.
  4. Adjust closed throttle position switch and reset memory. (Refer to Basic Inspection.)
  5. When the above three items check out OK, engine component parts and their installation condition are questionable. Check and eliminate the cause of the problem. It is useful to perform "TROUBLE DIAGNOSIS - SPECIFICATION VALUE".
  6. If any of the following conditions occur after the engine has started, eliminate the cause of the problem and perform "Idle air volume learning" all over again:
    • Engine stalls.
    • Erroneous idle.
    • Blown fuses related to the IACV-AAC valve system.

Please don't forget that I don't get payed until you press the accept button Picturejohn t (Online) What's This? Nissan
Expert's A.S. E. CERTIFICATION with The NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE EXCELLENCE was verified on or about 11/18/2009 by a leading third-party verification service. As of the verification date, the expiration date on file with the licensing authority was 12/31/2012.
Click here to view the Terms of Service section on verifications. 100% Positive Feedback
4 Nissan Accepts
ASE Certified Technician 27 years experience foreign and domestic Check Spelling You must Re-lock in order to continue typing.
1 minute remaining on lock! Re-lock Un-lock Release Date2007-02-13
-- Styles --Normal TextSmall TextFine PrintBlue NormalBlue Small
Show Signature
characters left: Opt Out Detailed Info Request Help

DISCLAIMER: Information in questions, answers, and other posts on this site ("Posts") comes from individual users, not JustAnswer; JustAnswer is not responsible for Posts. Posts are for general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional advice (medical, legal, veterinary, financial, etc.), and do not establish a professional-client relationship. The site and services are provided "as is" with no warranty or representations by JustAnswer regarding the qualifications of Experts. To see what credentials have been verified by a third-party service, please click on the "Verified" symbol in some Experts' profiles. The site is not intended or designed for EMERGENCY questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.

Help | Question List | Terms of Service | Security & Privacy | About Us
© 2003-2009 JustAnswer Corp.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Just Helping a Fellow expert.

There is a Service Bulletin on this P0505 code. The IAC valve can burn out the Ecm! So it will require you to replace both. I would unplug the Ecm and take a whiff. If you smell something burnt, then you need a Ecm. If you don't, then try the idle relearn. The Ecm is location is in the back center of the car. So if you were sitting in the passenger seat, it would be at your left foot. There is a small panel that comes off and the Ecm connector is right there.

I hate to say it, but once you have the P0505 code, most common since there is even a bulletin on this, is to replace both components.

Have a Happy Thanks Giving and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!