Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2004 Nissan Frontier: blown..10 amp eng cont ig..Replacing..blows

I've got a 2004 Nissan Frontier. I have blown the 10 amp Eng Cont Ig fuse a couple of times, which leaves me standing on the side of the road. Replacing the fuse immediately just blows the new fuse. After several hours, the problem clears and I can drive again for several weeks. I suspect the A/C blower relay may be bad because the fan was running during the failure and if the fan is turned ON, it will run with the key in the ACC position. Do you think I'm on the right track?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Please give me that fuse location in the fuse box in the car or under the hood so I can look at that circuit. Please keep in mind, this is a short. A short requires advanced electrical diagnosing and may be very hard to isolate with out the proper tools and normally requires hands on diagnosing. Especially if it happens ever several weeks. So the time to work on it would be the time that it's failing ( keeps blowing the fuse )

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Jay -

The fuse in in the block under the dashboard. Third column from the left, third fuse from the top.

I wondered if the problem might be the ignition switch (or maybe the relay) but the fan appears to be the only system with power when it shouldn't have it. Power windows only work when key is ON.

Thanks!

Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Eric, I am stepping out for lunch. I will try to find which circuit that is. I will post a picture of the fuse box to you when I get back to make sure we are talking about the same fuse.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Jay -

I tried to insert a graphic. I can't tell if it's here.

The pink fuse is the one that has blown...

Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I didn't get back to you. When I came back from lunch I had some work I needed to complete. If it's ok I would like to give you my full attention when I get home later this evening around 7 pm EST.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will be on my way home then but yes, let's continue...
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Ok, here is the fuse box. There are numbers next to the fuses. Tell me which number it is please.graphic

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's fuse #13
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
ok. Give me a few, I now have to look through the service manual to try to find all the components on that circuit. It could take me a while. Nissan doesn't list the wiring diagrams per fuse. They list all the systems, and I have to look at all wiring diagrams for each system to locate what is on that fuse.

I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Thanks Jay!
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Did you ever have the truck checked for codes? Also how many miles on the truck?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Jay!

I did take the truck into the dealer once. They apparently ran the truck all day but the problem didn't appear. I don't know if they got any codes. It has never been looked at while the problem is active. I think I've got about 142K miles on the truck.

Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
What is interesting is that fuse controls the Ecm, EGR solenoid and some evap components. The only thing that would cause the stalling would be the Ecm. That part of the circuit would need to be checked. The EGR and Evap would cause a Check Engine light to come on. When the ecm fails, it can turn the fans on like you are describing. But you really should have this circuit checked to see if there is any issues with it that can interrupt the Ecm signal. If you loose Ecm signal, you will have no codes. That is why I would look into that circuit.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Jay -

I don't know much about what the ecm does but could it "fail", cause the interior cabin blower fan to run when it shouldn't and allow the engine to run normally almost all the time, except when it decides to blow ignition circuit fuses? The last time this happened was at least two months ago so it's hard to remember but I believe the fan was running in ACC while the igniton circut fuse was blown.

Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Advanced electrical problems, especially intermittent ones over the Net is extremely hard. I just looked at all the items on that fuse circuit and the Ecm sounds to me like the circuit that needs to be checked. The Ecm is the main computer for the car. That is what receives all signals and sends out signals. If that fails it can do all sorts of crazy things, like the fans. So I would have that circuit checked.

Thanks Jay!