Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a starter problem with my 2002 Nissan Frontier. Actually,

Customer Question

I have a starter problem with my 2002 Nissan Frontier. Actually, it isn't a starter problem because it has been replaced THREE times in the past 6 months. The truck will sometimes start normally, but usually it will make a sound like a weak battery. A rapid tapping sound. Sometimes it will catch and start, sometimes it won't. The battery and cables are fine. I replaced the starter and soon started having the same problem. I took it to Nissan and they supposedly checked the electrical system and diagnosed it as a bad (rebuilt) starter. They replaced the starter and within a few days, I had the same problem. They replaced it again (under warranty) and of course, the problem persists.
My thought are that something is causing a drop in voltage to the starter.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

How many miles do you have on the truck? How old is your battery? When the dealer checked your electrical system, did they check the Battery and Alternator to see if they were good? Did they also check to see if you had any abnormal voltage draws?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The truck has about 65K miles.The battery is fairly new. No more than a year old. I had the battery checked when the problem first arose, and it checked out fine. The dealer also checked it. I don't know about the alternator, but since the battery is good and holding a charge, I wouldn't think it's an issue.
The dealer service manager said that everything checked out with the electrical system. He mentioned the ignition switch and something else I don't recall. I didn't ask for specifics, since I hoped at the time that the problem was solved. I went back to the dealer within the hour and told him that the 'new' starter was doing the same thing. He said that he would call Nissan and ask if they had any suggestions. I haven't heard back from him, but I don't have much confidence that they will know anything different.

Thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
So when this starting issue come on, does the engine turn over slow, or do you just get that rapid clicking?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When the starter catches, the engine turns over normally. Somtimes it will start as if nothing is wrong. Other times it will make the rapid clicking sound for maybe a second or two, then seem to catch and start. And then there are those times that all it makes is the clicking sound.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
I wonder if you have a bad cell in the battery. A bad cell can also act like you are describing. Have you had this problem since you replaced the battery? Which you mentioned was around a year ago?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.