Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician
8127795

I am working on 1986 nissan p/u with a z24 engine. It has fuel

Customer Question

I am working on 1986 nissan p/u with a z24 engine. It has fuel to the carb. it has spark to the plugs. it will not start it turns over but no luck. the clutch cancel switch on the dash went out and it would not turn over. i put a jumper wire to bypass the switch and the truck turns over but it will not start. it ran fine until the switch went out does this switch control anything else? the heater has no power now either. the fuses look fine but i dont know what relays to check or have a copy of the wiring diagram. HELP!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.

HI!

The clutch switch just works for the starter motor connection, if it cranks and you have spark to the plugs and fuel it should start , do you have a carb or fuel injection type throttle body this will make a difference the 1986 1/2 has injection, let me know Thanks ROY!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It has a carb.
Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.

OK!

It should start then if you have fuel and spark , hold your foot to the floor and see if it will start make sure you are getting fuel down the throttle body, remove the air cleaner lid and inspect to see if you see any fuel , here is a dia for the blower motor also , Thanks let me know if you have more questions, ROY!graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It has fuel in the throtle body.it turns over but does not sound like it is firing or even trying to start.
Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.

OK!

You might have to remove the spark plugs they could be fouled out with fuel remove them and clean them also check for spark at the plug when removed crank with wire hooked up and ground plug to see if you have spark at the tip of the spark plug, Thanks let me know ROY!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I changed the sparkplugs and no luck. the truck has no headlights no heater. both of those worked before the clutch cancel switch went out. I have a jumper in place of the switch and the starter turns over the plugs have fire and there is fuel in the carb and on the plugs when I pulled them out.
Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.

OK!

I would inspect all your fuse links off the battery pos. cable use a test light and make sure you have power on both side of the links ,then also check all the fuses in the fuse box make sure you have power with the key on , Thanks let me know if you have more questions, ROY!

Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.
Here are the powersgraphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Roy I will check the links and get back to you. I have checked all of the fuses and they have power. I was wondering if any of the relays worked the heater lights and some part of the ignition or if it could be in the ignition switch? Thanks
Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.

OK!

Check all the links first then you can inspect the ignition switch with a test light to make sure the contacts are working or replace it . the heater and the ignition would be on separate circuits , no relay . Thanks let me know ROY!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hey roy sorry for the delay I cant work on the truck again until monday afternoon. I will let you know as soon as I do. thanks!!
Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.

OK!

No problem . ROY!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hey Roy the fuseable link was blown and fixed a few problems but now the truck is fluding with fuel. it even ran fuel into the oil. does anything other than the ecu control the amount of fuel going in? it has a fuel return line what makes the fuel not use the return line?
Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.

OK!

If the engine is flooded then the injectors are stuck open the ECU control unit could be bad grounding the injectors to stick them open, please click Accept if I have helped you and let me know if you have more questions, ROY!