Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.

2001 nissan maxima with starting problem

What is the cause of no spark and no injector pulse in a 2001 nissan maxima 3.0 litre engine?I have already replaced both crankshaft sensors and camshaft position sensor but no luck in starting vehicle..Electrical connector going to ignition coil was tested and it shows 0.32 volts coming from white wire while cranking. According to Haynes manual, it indicates the ecm and crankshaft position sensor is in order. The red wire shows battery power with ignition switch on and the black wire shows good ground when testlight is hooked up to positive termina of battery.I can hear the fuel pump humming when vehicle is switched on.Thank you for your speedy response.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 4 years ago.
hi sounds like you have a problem with the key registration system , check to see if the red security light on the dash is on when your cranking the car over if it is then you will need to take the car to the dealer to have the keys reprogram let me know if you have more question .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Further to my previous reply, I would like to indicate that there is power to one terminal of the injector electrical connector when the ignition switch is on. However, there is no ground at the other terminal when checking. I checked with the engine cranking and the testlight clip grounded at the battery positive terminal. Still anxiously awaiting your response. Thank you.
IHI , NEED TO KNOW IF THE RED SECURITY LIGHT ON THE DASH IB ON WHEN CRANKING OVER PLEASE CHECK
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, maybe you did not receive my previous reply. There is no security light at all while cranking, only flashes when driver's door is closed.
IS THE SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT ON WHEN CRANKING AND IF SO DID YOU CHECK FOR CODES
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just checked. Service engine light is on while cranking. Code is Po335 crankshaft position sensor 'a' circuit shows up as current code and pending code. Which sensor is this out of the 2 sensors?
THIS IS THE CRANK SENSOR UNDER THE CAR AT THE FLY WHEEL BEHINE THE REDIATER
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your info. However, this has just been replaced based on code po335 and no successful result. I noticed that while this sensor is plugged in and attaching bolt removed there is no spark with a screwdriver test and engine cranking. Am i not supposed to get a spark?
PLEASE CHECK FOR POWER ,GROUND AND A 5 VOLTS ATR THE CRANK
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is approx. 2.3 volts at the red wire, ground is good. However, I do not get any voltage (5 volts) at the white wire. What does this mean? Please be specific. Also, do you know what is the code for the crank sensor below the crankshaft pulley?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Am I not suppose to get battery voltage at the red wire? Also since there is no voltage at the white wire does this mean the ecu circuit is bad requiring computer replacement?
the code for the other sensor is p1336, the red wire should have 12 volts the white 5 volts and the black ground if you have only 2.3 volts at the red wire then you may have a problem at the ecm relay so check for power at the red and green wire of the ecm relay
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the ecm relay the brown relay in front of the driver's side stating engine control? There is no power at the red wire. Should i have direct battery power there or only with the ignition switch on? Please advise?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think i should mention that there is no power at the red wire with green stripe when the relay is removed.Altogether there are 6 terminals at connector plug w/3 terminals bearing direct power. I noticed when ignition switch is on, no other terminal shows power.
so with the switch on there is no power at all to the relay
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Absolutely no power to the relay, no change at all when ignition switch is on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So far I am thoroughly impressed with your technical knowledge and troubleshooting skills. I am amazed.
hi am sorry for the long wait at the relay both white and blue wires should have battery voltage if not then check the number 59, is it a 15 amps fuse located in the fuse box under the hood please check if the fuse is good then you may have a wire problem and we will get to that if needed let me know
just want to make sure your checking the right relay under the hood by the battery first relay from the left in the box first row
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Correct. Both white wires w/blue stripes have battery voltage.Therefore I did not check any fuse (previously checked). I am checking the right relay.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
While waiting, I checked engine control 1 &2 fuses (both 15amps) and they are good.
hi ok if you have power at both white and blue wires then the next to check is the white and block and red and green for power when cranking let me know i will stay on line this time
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No power at both wires while cranking.
ok just turn the keys on then check for power at the white and black wire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No power at white w/black stripe & no power at red w/green stripe (while cranking).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just turned the keys on and still no power at white w/black wire.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think i should remind you that the ecm relay is disconnected from the electrical connector at this time.
there is the problem you need to check it connected you will have to remove the harness plug from the box
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is a change now from before. While cranking and w/relay plugged in, there is power at the red w/green wire. However still no power at white/w blk wire. I switched key on after and still no power. Crankshaft sensor is plugged in.
ok now i need you to check for power at the red wire at the crank sensor when cranking if you have power at the red and green wire at the relay you should have power at the sensor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Exactly. There is power at the red wire while cranking (battery voltage). Why not before?
so that is good then did the replace the crank sensor by the flywheel ? this crank code is the only code you get with the scan tool?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I did replace the crank sensor by the flywheel with a new one.Also the crank code po335 was the only code i got. I was able to do so only by cranking.
and the security light on the dash is not on when your cranking the car over

Possible Cause

I Harness or connectors

(The crankshaft position sensor (POS) circuit is open or

shorted.)

I Crankshaft position sensor (POS)

I Starter motor (Refer to EL section.)

I Starting system circuit (Refer to EL section.)

I Dead (Weak) battery

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No the security light is not on while cranking the car over. Just checked again.
you will have to check the flywheel because you have the code for the sensor you know the sensor is good you know the wires are good so there is only the flywheel and the ecm left in the circuit , so maybe the wheel is damage
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about the white wire at the sensor connector? There is still no 5 volts with the ignition switch on (only 0.02 volts). Is this not the circuit from the ecm? This was mentioned previously. Do we not have to eliminate the ecm as the problem before condemning the flywheel?
yes we do i must have read incorrectly thought we was good on all thee wires that 5 volts is sent from the ecm so if you have no 5 volts one the ecm is bad two something is telling it to not send the 5 volts, like security , if your sure the light is not on and there is no after market system in the car then there is nothing to do but replace the ecm and have the key reprogram
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I replace the ecm, is it necessary to reprogram the key? Also, regarding the crankshaft sensor by crankshaft pulley, (code p1336) is this also called a 'ref' sensor? Thanks for your info.Could I utilize a used ecm?

yes you can get a use ecm the problem with that is that you have to get the same one with the same part number not just any one from a 2001 maxima , yes you have to have the key done , and yes the sensor is called crank ref sensor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Accordin to Haynes repair manual if I get approx. 0.2volts (200 millivolts) from terminal#3 of coil elec. connector while cranking the ecm and crankshaft position sensor is working fine.This is the trigger signal from the ecm.I am getting 0.3volts while cranking.I don't understand. Please respond.

the Nissan service manual say it should be 5 volts 0.3 volts is nothing that is like what you would see on a ground circuit i have to go by the Nissan manual

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay so if there is no voltage at terminal #3 of coil electrical connector the Haynes manual says to check the "ignition circuit condenser" located at wiring harness towards the transaxle end of engine. Could this be the problem.?
it could but i have never seen one go bad
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just remembered. What about the issue with the white w/black wire at the ecm relay?Did you not indicate this should have power while cranking? This was never dealt with.We only took care of the red w/green wire at the ecm relay, therefore we now have battery voltage at the red wire belonging to the crankshaft sensor connector.

no the white wire is a ground it will have power when the key is turn on but as soon the key go into the start position this will be ground and if you have power at the crank sensor there is no problem with the wire or the relay
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did you mean to say there's power to white w/black wire when key is initially turned on as with a testlight. Then this changes to ground in start position? But I don't get this power!
no i am talking about the white and black wire at the relay, this is going to have power coming in and out of the relay to the ecm, when the key is turn to the start position this white and black at the relay then gets a ground from the ecm to the relay that cause the relay to close and send power to the red and green wire at the relay, this wire then turn into the green at the sensor so if you have 12 volts at the red wire at the sensor then all that is good, the problem is you do not have a 5 volts ref from the ecm to the sensor the only thing that is going to cause that is a = a broken wire b= a bad ecm c= something stopping the ecm from sending the 5 volt like the security system .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now that is clarified.From your personal expert experience do you think it is worth the trouble to look for that "broken wire"?We know that the security system is okay.

yes it is you need the car to run so what ever fix the problem is what have to be done , you can try to check the wire from the sensor to the ecm unplug both and do a continuity test you can also put battery volts to the wire then put a light bulb at the other end then go to ground see if the bulb in brite that will check the condition of the wire

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could you please explain the part about putting battery volts from the sensor end in more detail. Thanks.
to check if the wire the white wire unplug the ecm and the crank sensor ,if you take them both out now you just have a wire run battery to the wire at the sensor at the other end (for this you will need to brake light bulb and socket ) there will be two wire coming from the socket connect one end to the wire at the ecm and the other to ground if the bulb lights up good then the wire is good
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do i know which wire to check at the ecm side after unplugging it?
you are checking the same white wire it gos from the sensor to the ecm
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just noticed some wires were cut by the radiator fan.They sit directly in front tne fan. Could this be related to the starting problem? Also, would you know if there is a TSB out for the white wire (no 5 volts) from the ecm?Thanks.
there is no tbs i check, you will need to repair all broken wires , you do not know what they are for so assume that is apart of your problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
With reference to the white wire at the ecm side (opposite end of crankshaft sensor side) instead of using a brakelight bulb do you think I could use a testlight and ground. This is after putting battery power to the sensor side of white wire.
yes that is fine
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience: ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.