Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

01 Nissan Frontier Roter in Distributor Wont Turn

today i replaced the distributer in my 2001 nissian frontier, it would not fire before hand, now i have no spark, and the roter in the distributer is not turning when you turn the engine over. what is the cause of this?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

If the distributor rotor is not turning when you are turning over the truck, then I am afraid to say the timing belt has broken. When the timing belt is really loose and ready to break it will actually vibrate through the distributor making you think that something is wrong with the distributor, when it's actually the timing belt. I would stop cranking the truck before you do any more damage to the engine. Your next step would be to get the timing belt done and see how it runs. If it runs fine, then you lucked out. If it runs ruff, then you may have bent some valves.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

jay,

The truck was running fine i pulled it out of the drive and parked it and came back 2 hours later to pull it back in the drive and it wouldn't crank. Before we replaced anything we were getting a white spake. We tested and determined that it was the ignition coil that was bad we thought. While finding TDC manually the old rotor we noticed would not turn at times and after replacing the distributor and turning the motor over we discovered that the new rotor wasn't rotating at all. The engine didn't crank or run do you think that damage was done to the valves.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
It's possible. The timing belt keeps the bottom of the engine timed to the top of the engine. So if that belt breaks, the bottom can come up and hit the valves since the belt is no longer keeping it in time. The Cam when it turns will turn the distributor rotor. If the rotor is not turning, then it sounds like a timing belt issue. Timing belts are rated 10 years or 100k miles.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to confirm what i thought it was. hopefully the damage is min. if any..you've been a great help. wish i would have found this site before i start working on the truck this morning.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer