Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2005 Nissan Quest: van..It wont start and I..starter..fuses

I have a 2005 Nissan Quest van. It won't start and I have no power to the starter. I checked and all the fuses are good. It comes with a digital dashboard and when I move the gear shifter only reverse (R) lights up. The other selections; park, neutral, and drive; do not light up.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Hi there! Did you also check the fuses under the hood? Does all of the other electrical work, but what you stated?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I took so long. Yes to both of your questions. When you turn the key, you can hear a click- like sound but nothing else.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, I suspect the problem may be the inhibitor switch. Do you have a test light so we can check the wire at the starter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes we do but I'm just the go between. He's at work now and won't be home til tonight. How does he go about checking the wire? We'll (I'll) get back with you either tonight or in the morning. OK?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
There is a black and white wire going to the starter. He needs to check that wire for power with the test light while someone turns the key. The starter is located on top of the transmission in the front. You will have to take off the air box and hose to get a clear view of it. Let me know when ever you can the result of the test. We can take it from there!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I shut down my computer, how can I get back in touch with you. Also if he has no power going to the starter than it would be the switch you mentioned if he does have power would it be the starter?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
If there is power, then the starter is the problem. If no power, we have to run a couple more tests. It sounds like it may be the starter to me because you are hearing a click. This normally indicates the circuit is good, however I am troubled by the reverse light being the only one showing up on the dash.
I would also suggest trying to jump start the van, a week battery can cause this same issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just an up-date. My husband is on his way home and when he arrives, he will get on the computer and let you know exactly whats going on. Thank you for you patience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure if you got my last reply. My husband is on his way home and will get in connect with you when he arrives. Thank you for you patience.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
No problem at all, actually just got home myself!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We ran a wire from the positive battery post to the starter and it started. So there is no power going to the starter from the start position from the switch.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, well it goes from the switch to the IPDM/ER. This is the large fuse box under the hood on the passenger side. Also,try starting the van in neutral and see if it cranks and let me know!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried it in neutral and it did not start. If you wish, just call my cell XXX-XXX-XXXX and I can then explain what's going on. I will still pay you through JustAnswer.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
It is against the TOS for me to have personal contact info. They xed out the number. You have to describe what is happening to me here. There is a clicking noise when you turn the key, can you tell me where that noise is coming from?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
I have to feed my family and then I will be back. Probably about 45 minutes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The noise comes from under the dash. not the fuse box under the hood.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, can you rechack fuse #12 in the fuse box inside the car? Do all other electronics function with the key on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All fuses are good. Any idea where to go next?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
we have a test light right? I really suspect the inhibitor switch on the transmission or the ipdm, but we need to test the circuits to narrow it down.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes we have a test light. What is the ipdm? We are tring to help a friend, 50 miles away, so I don't have the van right here.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
HERE is a diagram of the ipdm location. This has the starter relay in it. It also has about 50 fuses in it and control many of the things that go on. We are going to need him to locate the inhibitor switch on the front of the transmission and check for power on the Green wire. The an won't turn over if there is no power on this switch. Let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We called our friend and due to the late hour and darkness, he can't find the inhibitor switch. We believe that you are correct with either the inhibitor switch or the starter relay. We told him what you said. Thank you XXXXX
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
no problem. the switch is located on the front of the transmission. Probably easist to get to it from under the van. HERE is what it looks like
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.