Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 1982 datsun/nissan 720 pickup with the sd22 diesel

Customer Question

I have a 1982 datsun/nissan 720 pickup with the sd22 diesel and it will not start. It was running fine and then stalled out and wont start now.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
So the trunk stalled while running?Have you checked to see if you have fuel pressure or sprak?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, the glow plugs heat up fine and there is fuel going to the injector pump. I was in the process of converting it to run on waste vegetable oil. I was pulling alot of power from the battery to heat the oil and I am not sure if that caused something electrical to fail.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok thats a very good chance that happend.Did you mess with the fuel lines at all.Is the fuel pump nice and strong?What have you done so far for the conversion?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have run a separate fuel pump for the oil to a selector switch and the diesel to the same selector switch. I am not exactly sure where the lift pump for the diesel is or maybe there is not one. It was running on oil when it stalled out. I did have the oil at the correct operating temp.. I did plead all the oil out of the line to the injector pump until diesel came out.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok there still could be air in the system make sure all the air is out . Wonder if the oil fouled out the plugs , have you removed the plugs ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes i check the plugs and they have continuity. i did not check for fuel from the pump to the injectors. Is there any electrical connections on the injector pump? I was unable to to see any. This is the pump with the injector lines coming out of the top and not the back.

Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok its possible the filter got clogged have you checked that also or internal in the pump .These are the next steps to check.