Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

what causes the car rough ride when going over bumps or rough

what causes the car rough ride when going over bumps or rough road that you feel it in a older car ?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Hi there! Most of the time the problem is caused by a worn out suspension. Spring, shocks and struts are the most common cause. It can also ride rought if the tires are over inflated as well,although since you have new tires I am betting that is not the problem. I would have the struts and shocks replaced to solve the problem. Hope this helps! Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have the car in the nissan dealership & master mechanic said they look ok but this is how old cars get.Is there a special test for shocks & struts?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
As a general rule you can do a bounce test. You just bounce the car and it should come up once and stop. It has been my experience that even though they look ok, they wear out over time and then the springs sag. When the springs start to get weak the car loses some of the suspension travel. So in reality the strut and shocks are at the bottom of the travel. You want it to ride like new again, replace the springs when you replace the shocks and struts, the car will ride like new.