Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

1997 nissan pickup: smoke..wires,02 sen,fuel reg,tps

Customer Question

I have a 1997 nissan pickup it starts great idles well untill the engine reaches temp. then it runs real rough burns rich with black smoke and won't idle. It has new plugs,wires,02 sen,fuel reg,tps, and I clean the ERG valve. I am at a total loss
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
HI there! is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes the codes are 0100 and 1130 and 0443
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, here is what i think. The codes are for, the mass air flow sensor, the purge control solinoid and the swirl valve. These all have vaccum lines running to them. I think you should check the steel vaccum lines that run under the intake manifold.Sometimes they rust closed and you get no vaccum. It is hard for me to believe that all of these solinoids and sensors have gone bad all at the same time. It is more realistic that they have lost vaccum which most operate from. I sway start by checking those vaccum lines.Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can't the steel line be bypassed with rubber then
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the accept and Bonus!the answer is yes. I have done this many times.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So far I have not found any bad lines but i am still looking, any other thoughts
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
My other thoughts would be to take a test light and check for power to these items. If all else fails, you should clear the check engine light and then run it till it comes back on and see if you are still dealing with all 3 of these codes.
Lastly and most likely is a problem with the mass air flow sensor itself. They can go bad and cause all types of issues. It is an excpensive part though so I have to just have you change it on my say so. Best to test that with a scan tool.
Also, under the bottom of the air filter housing is the intake air temp sendor. Normally you would have a code for this, but many times the wiring to the sensor breaks right at the connector. This will cause the engine to run poorly once up to temp. But like I said, you will normally see a code for it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am down to 1 code 0100

It still runs really bad and won't idle after it reaches temp

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, Code 100 is the mass air flow sensor. If it is not working properly, the truck will run like crap. It is mounted to the throttle body on the 4 cylinder engine. I would go ahead and change it.