ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Nissans. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

how do you set the timing for an infiniti 99 qx4?

Customer Question

Category: Nissan
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 7 years ago.
Hi, are you talking about the timing belt (valve timing), or adjusting the distributor (ignition timing)?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
timing belt. I have the new one on there now and it sounds like it's misfiring. I may have set it wrong
Hmmm.. If the old one broke, then you might have problem with bent valves in 1 or more cylinders, too... here is a pdf showing how to put the timing belt back on the engine... Hope it helps.

If you need anything else, let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The old one was fine. It was just time to replace after about 105k miles. It ran great and sounded perfect. But now, with the new one on, it's misfiring. I have not driven it yet, just turned it on real quick a couple of times and noticed the difference. I think i lined up the cranks wrong before putting the new one on.
Hopefully it didn't mess it up.. !!
Is it only 1 cylinder misfiring?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i'm not sure. How do i know?
I need to know.... did you take any wires loose from the distributor, during your timing belt repair?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes
OK,,, Then we have a likely culprit right there..
Check the plug wire routings before going any farther..
graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i just checked the connections. they do not seem to line up like your diagram suggests. Are the numbers on the spark plug end suppsed to line up like that?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so 2,4,6 are on the driver side?
yes
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok i will try it thank you. do you have any other diagrams?
Probably...
What do you need?
The ones for the timing belt job are in the pdf I sent in my first reply... If the marks don't line up, there could be valve problems in the engine.

You will want to make sure that you put the #1 cylinder at top dead center on it's compression stroke (what you did when you put the timing belt on it).. So, line up the timing marks, and make sure the rotor in the distributor is pointing to the correct terminal... and that the wiring is routed correctly.

If you need anything else, let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is obvious that the connections on the wiring are wrong after comparing them to your diagram. Could this have caused major damage from the short time I had the car on? My check engine light was blinking.
If the plug wires were wrong, then it won't really cause major damage to anything, but it will not be good for the catalytic converter.. and if it stops up, then it can damage the rings in the cylinders.. But this would usually be from something that would have been ongoing problem for quite some time... which really doesn't seem to be the case.

The check engine light flashing is telling you that the engine has a bad enough misfire to damage the catalytic converter. You may have to have a place like AutoZone reset it for you, if it doesn't go away, and then if it comes back.. read the codes, and let me know what they are.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
According to your timing alignment diagram, the bottom sprocket indicator is at the top. Is that correct?
OOPS sorry wrong engine on that other one!
Here is the correct one:
graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if the bottom sprocket is not aligned correctly, is it likely that the damage is catastrophic? I only had it on for a few seconds. The engine was reved but not for long. It almost sounded like it was ok w/ the exception of the check engine light.
Well, if the crankshaft was not in time with the valves, it would not normally just bend valves in 1 cylinder.. but it can happen.
If you are worried about bent valves also.. then you will want to do a compression test on the engine.. Each cylinder on this engine should have about 173 PSI.