Nathan, Nissan Technician
Experience:  17+ sole Nissan Experience, Master ASE and Master Nissan trained.

Where is the PCV valve located on a four cylinder 1998 Altima

Where is the PCV valve located on a four cylinder 1998 Altima engine?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 years ago.
Here is an image of the pcv system showing the location.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I checked a line that goes from the head cover to the air intake. The hose starts on the right side of the top of the engine. It was just straight pipe. Coud the PCV have been remove by a previous owner. Should I re install it?
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 years ago.
You know as I recall it, the pcv valve on the ka24de engine was not in the valve cover, incontradiction to the diagram that I pulled out of the Nissan service manual. I have done well over 100 timing chain cover reseals on this vehicle and always remember it being just above and behind the power steering pump and under/behind the intake manifold. it is very close to the front timing chain cover. In fact it is attached to a small box that bolts to the timing chain cover near the power steering. I think Nissan probably used a generic illustration in their service manual.

I know it is very difficult to see the pcv valve on this engine without removal of power steering pump. But you may be able to see it with a good light and telescoping mirror.
You will only be able to see a hose and the nut portion of the valve where it threads into the ventilaton box I mentioned above.

I will try to search for a better image for you after posting this reply.

Ok here is a better image. I basically cropt a large image and then kept making closer cropt image until I focused in on the exact location of the valve. Here are the images

Edited by Nathan B on 10/3/2009 at 10:22 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have no clue as to where a PCV valve is on my vehicle and now am quite confused.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 years ago.
It is not going to be visible unless you use a mirror or you remove the power steering pump.
if using a mirror look down in between the intake runners down low towards the passenger side (front of engine) you will see a rail (which is the pcv port rail) on it is a hose that goes from the rail to the pcv valve. It is very difficult to see and is even harder to change.

I got to tell you though they nearly never clog up unless you have a sludged up engine.