Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

How do I get air out gas tank

Customer Question

How do I get air out gas tank
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
HI there! Can you tell me what the specific code was? Air in the gas tank is not really a good description. ALso, are you having any problems with the car other then the light?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not have the specific code handy. The tech at auto zone stated my check engine light was on due to air trapped in my gaas tank. He told me to let the car get to empty than turn off engine and refill it. I tried that but my check engine light is still on. Nothin else is going wrong just htat irritating light.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, I really need the code to help you with this.
There is not anything that would be air in the gas tank. So here is what I think. You likely have an emmisions code. It is a code for the evap system. Something is leaking fuel vapors into the atmosphere. A pretty common problem is what we call the vent control valve. This valve opens and closes when the fuel vapors expand it has to open and let the vapors into the charcol canister. When it sticks open the vapors go into the atmoshpere,when it sticks closed, you will normally have trouble filling the gas tank. If you can get the actual code let me know and I can tell you what is happening. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will be back with the code
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, thanks I can really help you out a lot more with it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have received the code P0455
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Sorry took so long to get back to you!
The P0455 is for a gross evap leak. This means a large leak in the evap system. 99% of the time this is the vent control valve I was telling you about earlier. If it is stuck open,the pressure sensor will see that and call it a gross evap leak. It is located on the charcol canister on the back drivers side of the car. It is located under the car. You change that and clear the codes it will resolve the problem,I am sure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you know how much this might cost to be repaired
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
It will probably be about $150-$200 installed. Somewhere in that ball park.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the idle control valve the same things does this part go by any other name
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
No it is not the idle air valve. It is the vent control valve. Just the evap canistor vent control valve
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate your help i am tryingto find this part to have it installed. I mean am I able to this this by my self
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, you could likely do it yourself. You just unplug the connector and then it turns and pops in.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i keep searching for th evap canister vent valve but it wont show that name exactly To you have a picture of the piece you could show me
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, here is a link to a nissan site,it is a parts site. On the third picture is your year car and a blowup of the canister. The part # XXXXX need is 14920+B Hope it works for you let me know if you need more help!
http://www.courtesyparts.com/sentra-parts-b15u-2000-2006/genuine-nissan-parts/engine-electrical/223-vacuum-piping/-c-2837_2838_2867_2870.html
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Did the link work? were you able to find the part on there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HiI had the car looked at they said I need a canister and cover whats the cover
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
There is a shield that protects the canister, that qould be the cover. I am sure of course the price is higher if they have to replace the canister as well.