Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2004 Quest: 3.5 5-speed loses power..going uphill..60 mph..sluggish

My 2004 Quest (43000 miles) 3.5 5-speed loses power when going uphill. Goes from 60 mph to about 40 but then picks up on flat surfaces although somewhat sluggish. Checked the transmission level and discovered it was low. So, I am changing the transmission fluid and would like to replace the filter but can't find it. I removed the transmission oil pan but can not see the filter. Where is it?
Hello and thank you for using

The trans filter is a non serviceable filter on the 5 spds. The transmission also requires special trans fluid called Matic K. Any other fluid could damage the transmission.

So I would only do a drain and refill on the transmissions. There filers are a metal screen and are not recommended to be serviced.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So is the transmission causing the problem or can it be something else? Besides the transmission what could cause the car to be so sluggish?
It could be a Maf sensor not metering air properly. I would have it checked with a scan tool to verify. All you need to check is the air and fuel mixture readings and that will show how the van is running. I am sure you don't have a service engine soon light on. You sound like the type of person that if you jumped right in to pull the trans pan off, that if the light was on, you would get it checked.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When the car experienced this problem, I would step on the gas pedal and the RPMs wouldn't go up. Does it still sound like it could be a Maf sensor and if it does is this something that the dealer would have to take care of?
That could be a Maf sensor. The dealer is not the only place that can take care of it, but is the best place to take care of it. Since they know your car best! Problems like this, you have to know what to look for. Also if the MAF sensor is lets say found to be bad. After market ones never work properly and you will keep going back to your mechanic. Where the Nissan Maf sensors will fix the problem. The after markets don't have the heating element that Nissan Maf sensor have. This causes all sorts of issues and so on. Dealt with them so many times it's not funny.

Thanks Jay!