Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician

1973 datsun 620: automatic..few minutes..runs fine..starts right

I have an automatic 1973 datsun 620 pickup and when I start it in the morning I have to give it gas for a few minutes before I put it in drive or it will stall. Then I put it in drive and it feels like it's going to stall but it does not. It runs fine after this and starts right up if not sitting to long. Does anyone know what the problem is? thanks
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.

When your truck is cold the choke on the carburator closes to allow more fuel to get into the carburator and less air , when the truck stalls cold this sounds like the choke is not closing or stuck open, causing to stall from lack of fuel. once it warms up the choke is open does not need it, this is why it will run after it warms up, I would have the carburator looked at ,or overhauled to fix your problem. Thanks ROY!