Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2004 Nissan Sentra: stalling..parked..5-10 minutes..goes away

Customer Question

2004 Nissan Sentra, irregular idle/surging from 3000 rpm to almost stalling while parked. This lasts for 5-10 minutes and then goes away and is drivable. While driving, late/hard shift into 2nd. Automatic trans.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
HI there! Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. The check engine light is on. It goes on and off. When I took it to the shop last week they said it was due to a fuel system clog, which they flushed to remove. Then they got a code for the valve that they replaced.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, Is there any way you could possible tell me what codes were in the system?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't remember the codes specifically. I will call the shop and find out though. I will get back to you in a few minutes. Thanks!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Code was P0507 - PCV valve or throttle actuator.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, that is for the throttle body. All that means is the car is idling at the wrong speed.
I would like to start by having you do the idle realern on the car. Please follow all of the steps I am sending you in order and use a watch with a second hand as timing is important. Try this and see if it helps

1. Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning".

a. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
b. Turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait at least 2 seconds.
c. Turn ignition switch 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.
d. Turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait at least 2 seconds.
e. Turn ignition switch 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.

2. Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" .

b. Turn ignition switch 'ON'.
Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.

4. Check that all items listed under the topic 'PREPARATION' (previously mentioned) are in good order.

5. Turn ignition switch 'OFF' and wait at least 10 seconds.

6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait 3 seconds.

7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.

a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.

9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off.

10. Start engine and let it idle.

11. Wait 20 seconds.

12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you! I will give this a try when I have a chance tonight.

Question: Step 4 mentions the items under PREPARATION. What is this referring to?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Just that you need to have the engine and transmission up to operating temp
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Couple other questions: does this have to be done starting with a cold engine? Step 2 says make sure the throttle valve moves by confirming the operating sound. What should I listen for? Is there any chance this will make the car worse? Thanks!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
After you turn the key off, you should be able to hear the throttle motor run. This basicly the throttle motor finding out how much travel there is. This will not adversly affect the car
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi. I attempted the steps you listed and nothing happened. I did not hear the throttle valve move and the MIL did not blink or turn off. Is there something else I can try?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
You can have the dealer reset the idle using the scan tool. This is the way to do it without. I really suspect it needs a relearn. If you keep trying you will get it. The light not blinking means you are not getting the ecm into the relearn mode.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX keep trying or take it to the dealer if I can't get it. I appreciate the help!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
You are very welcome! Thank you for the accept!