JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field uaw union member

2001 Nissan: start my..rough idle..coil pack or spark plug miss firing

Customer Question

When I start my 2001 Nissan it has a very rough idle and when I put it in drive the engine shakes really hard then takes off... Any idea what this can be? Can it be a coil pack or spark plug miss firing?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 7 years ago.
is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

have you had the codes pulled yet?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No I havent.... And its the service engine soon light not the check engine...
" Hi,

The check engine light aka service engine soon light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.

The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores(like auto zone) will do this service for free- check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes." So getting the codes pulled is the key to determine what is not working correctly.