Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

1995 Nissan Maxima: security system..It still wont start

Customer Question

My 1995 Nissan Maxima won't start and I suspect the security system is the problem. I bought a new battery. It still won't start. I tried locking and unlocking the driver's side doors and other doors as well, to no avail? Any suggestions? I would eventually like to do away with the security system
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Why do you think the security is the problem it will not start?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The car wouldn't start last week when I pulled into a gas station. I called a auto shop, and told them a light came on that says: "DO Off". He thought it had something to do w/the security system and told me to try locking and unlocking the driver-side door. I did, as well as a back door that doesn't usually respond to the unlock switch. I often have to do that back passenger door manually. I remember I had unlocked that particular door out of order that morning and thought the auto shop mechanic might be right. Sure enough, the car started and did fine for a week. Then, yesterday, my daughter and son came and unlocked the back door out of order to get in that side and sure enough, the car won't start. The engine does not turn over at all. Also, my daughter tried to give me a jump start, and the car still would not start.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Well the security system does not keep the engine from turning over, it kills injector pulse, So the engine will crank but won't start. Do you know if you have a after market alarm? That will keep the engine from cranking?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I traded for the vehicle over a year ago. The previous owner may have added a security system. I'm not sure. Any suggestions on what to try?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Remove the lower dash panel on the drivers side. Look for something like this image. graphic

If you find a after market control unit, that looks like this, just unplug it. The car should then start right up.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is a rubber bell-shaped (button?) hanging down below the steering wheel and to the right of it. That might be it? In any case, I have asked a garage to look at the car later today. Thanks for your help!

Nancy

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
That button sounds like the valet switch for a after market alarm. They just need to unplug that main control unit for the car and that should allow the car to start.

Thanks Jay!