kenbam
kenbam, Nissan Mechanic
Experience:  23 years in the trade, last 13 years training auto apprentcies

1986 300zx: power windows..passenger..the (driver side) door panel

Customer Question

On my 1986 300zx both my power windows are failing simultaneously (driver and passenger of course). I was recently told it was the power controller/power amplifier and the judicious use of a soldering gun may fix the problem. I dismantled the (driver side) door panel and now I am looking at potentially dismantling the inner shell of the door. If this failure is caused by this component could someone give me the "exact" location so I am certain what I should be removing to reach it. If anyone has a better idea of what might be causing the failure I'd love to hear your solution. Thanks!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  kenbam replied 4 years ago.
Hey Tiger, Ken here, i answered this question first time around.

We have a problem, when you first asked about your power windows, you stated it was a 96 300zx. "I have a non-turbo 1996 Nissan 300zx".

Seems it was an 86 300zx, which do NOT have the amplifier.

I am going to attach a picture of the wiring diagram for a 85 300zx, should be the same as yours, Check out the circuit breaker, it looks like a bimetalic type, which will reset itself.
Circuit breaker is bottom left of second pic.

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX my fault, a combination of a fat finger and a fat mind. So, it could be that circuit breaker as described/illustrated in the second illustration bottom left has issues? It would definitely be simple to replace assuming I can find one. Would a failure make it work sometime and not others? Could it be that the reset is failing most of the time (but not all the time)?
Expert:  kenbam replied 4 years ago.
At the age of it, and probably been opened and closed many times, the contacts could be burnt, creating a high resistance, windows are high current items. Yes to all your questions. Not much more that could be causing your problem though.

Good luck.
kenbam, Nissan Mechanic
Experience: 23 years in the trade, last 13 years training auto apprentcies
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks I'll accept you answer. I did find a circuit breaker online and I just ordered it. Thanks for the help again. It's amazing how you can answer a question if the questioner supplies the correct information. Have a wonderful day.
Expert:  kenbam replied 4 years ago.
Great that you can still get parts. I own a 93 TT, love the car.

Thanks again
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My windows are still dead, even though I replaced the illustrated power windows circuit breaker above the fuse panel. I don't know where to go from here.
Expert:  kenbam replied 4 years ago.
Well this is a problem.

I just had a good look at the wiring diagram again, if you have a look at the igntion relay, while it does operate a few things, it had 2 sets of contacts. It would appear that the power windows and power seats share ONE set of contacts. Power goes from the circuit breaker, through the relay contacts then to the windows and seats.

Given that the connectors and wires are good, this is all it could be, as it has to be common to both sides.

The ignition relay is brown and has 6 terminals. Its also shown in the diagram i sent you before.