Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

My 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 wont start. It turns over but wont

My 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 won't start. It turns over but won't crank. I replace fuel pump, had the starter and battery checked. I tested the continuity of the crank sensor and the cam sensor...seem o.k.   What else could it be?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
HI there! Is the security light on solid or flashing when you crank it over?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, there is no security light that comes on or flashes
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, I didn't get all of your post on my side the first time. So the check engine light is not coming on when you turn the key on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No it is not
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, lets start by checking the fuses that power up the ecm. If the light is not coming on then the ecm is not getting power.
There is a large fuse box over by the washer fill jug. Pull the cover and check fuses # XXXXX and fuse #51 Check them and let me know!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The fuses are good
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, do you have a test light so we can check for power to the ecm?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where is the ecm? I have a test light.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
The ecm is located behind the glove box. Before we go there though, look at the IPDM/ER. The large fuse box out by the jug.You should see a connector plugged into it that has only 4 wires. Check the Black/Red wire for power with the key on. Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes it is getting power
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, same area of the car, you will find a 16 pin connector. With the key on check the follwing wire colors for power. white/black, red/green and red. these should have power with the key on. If they do we have to check at the ecm, if not then the ipdm/er is no good. Let me know!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is no power from all 3 of those wires
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
ok, with the key on you have no power on those wires. This indicates that the relay for the ecm is no good. The relays aren't servicable on there own so it is most likely the ipdm/er is no good.You might be able to try and swap with one of the other relays for testing to see if the light comes on and if the wires power up. But I think we have located the problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the help. I had thought maybe that was the problem but didn't want to pay 500.00 for a new ipdm until I knew for sure. Do you know of anywhere where I could buy the relays seperatly or could I get it at the junk yard?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
I know of no place to get the relays. Nissan only sells the unit as one piece. You could either pull the relays at a yard, or get the entire ipdm. You can also check online for the part at courtesynissan.com they have a great selsection of parts at resonable prices