Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

I am changing my belts on my infiniti I30 1999. Pulled the

I am changing my belts on my infiniti I30 1999. Pulled the wheel, loosened both tensioners, the one for the power steering and the a/C Alternator......Can't remove the belts. How do you do it?
HI there! HERE is some help, you may need to loosen the one for the serp belt up some more. As for the power steering belt, I normally cut the old off and then walk the new one on rotating the engine clockwise by hand. It is tough to get the p/s pump loose enough to get it off. Hope this helps! Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The one for the A/c Alt - there is a grooved wheel that slides in and out...Is that normal. If you go and try your help above, can I still get help with that issue....
No, the idler should go up and down to release the tension is all. You loosen the cenert net a bit and then from the top use a 14 mm to move the pulley up or down
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Carguy1....No, the pulley that holds the drive belt to the power steering. Right in front of it, the belt for the AC/Alt is attached there through a grooved wheel that slides in and out. Is that normal?
Don't worry...I will accept but just want to make sure I get the help I need, even if it cost me more.
OK, I am not worried about the money, just having some trouble getting on the same page with you is all. If you take the link I sent i believe you are talking about the crank pulley. That should not move in and out. Actually none of the pulleys should move in or out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is tough to get the p/s pump loose enough to get it off

Are you talking here about the tensioner or that I need to loose the power steering pump?
You need to actually loosen the power steering pump to get that belt off. There is a pivot that you have to loosen from the back side of the pump and then the adjuster bolt, then you should be able to pivot the entire pump. Like I said, I have always had my best luck by walking the new belt on after cutting the old belt off. If you have a socket large enough for the crank nut, you should be able to do this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do have the socket.....

Yes the crankshaft the inside goes the belt for the p/s. On the outside the wheel (grooved) that holds the belt that goes to the A/c..that wheel slides out of the pulley
OK, Based on what you are saying here, you need a new crank pulley. That pulley should be the most stable of all. Sounds like the pulley has become loose from the rubber. That should be solid and as one piecce.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it is loose from the rubber. Final question.....something I can do or do I need to take it to a mechanic? Expensive?
Not sure on the cost of the pulley. It is something that you can do provided first, that you can get the bolt loose from the crank, and that you have a puller to remove the pulley. It might be just that you need more tools then you have. But if you have the tools you could do it. I would guess the pulley to be about $150 or so.