Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician

How do reset the computer on a 2004 nissan titan, just purchased

How do reset the computer on a 2004 nissan titan, just purchased it from a privet owner and getting only 9-10 mpg. It has only 28000 miles on it. Someone told me to reset the computer becuase it may be programed to shift based on the previous driver. Please help
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.

You will need a scan tool to reset the self learning , and reset all the monitors for the fuel injection system, I would take it to a shop with a scan tool or the dealer can do this and also check the alpha reading to make sure you truck is set to the correct fuel mixture and feed back to the control unit, should be at 100% when correct . Thanks let me know if you have more questions, ROY!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Roy, by disconnecting the neg battry cable wouldnt do a thing in resetting it? Aloha Don
Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.

This will clear codes some times this will work, but it will not tell you if your truck is burning to much fuel or if you could have a bad sensor causing poor mileage if you just want to reset try to unhook cable , then touch the cable together to draw down the control units memory I dont like to suggest this, I would rather use a scan tool and see if you have a problem first. Thanks ROY!