Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

P1320-No Primary Ignition Signal to ECM 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

P1320-No Primary Ignition Signal to ECM 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE, already replaced two coils and the MAF sensor still throwing codes and I am running out of money. Anyway to fix this without paying an arm and a leg? Thanks!
Hello and thank you for using

I hate to say it. When ever you get a ignition primary code, P1320 it normally means that you will need to replace all the coils. All coil resistances are no good. That is why the code keeps coming back and that is why replacing 2 coils did not help.

I am sorry to say, you will need to replace all coils, and might as well change the spark plugs while your at it as well.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Jay,

Will I have to replace the plugs even though they were changed last October?

What kind of plugs did you install? Do you remember the make? You shouldn't need to but if you installed a make plug other than NGK's, then you should put the NGK plugs back in the truck. I have seen other make plugs, like Champion and Bosch plugs cause issues.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They are the iridium type very pricey.

Is that the make? Most Platinum Plugs are around 8 to 10 bucks each. I have not heard of that kind. I guess since they are new, you could leave them in, but I have seen plugs cause the ignition primary code as well.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not sure of the make they were $101.28 according to my reciept. Another question, I've been told the OEM coils won't last very long. If I go with the Nissan have they made improvements so they'll last longer? The orginal owner changed the coils back when the car had 90K on it it has 135K now.

thank you again for your help!
Yes, the Nissan coils are a better coil. So for the amount of work, it pays to do it once and do it right.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry to bug you again I finally found all my paperwork. I have replaced #6 on 12/07 #5 in 02/09. If I replace the remaining four now will it be ok? Both coils were replaced with Nissan coils.

Thanks again!!
Yeah, lets leave the plugs alone, and replace the remaining 4 coils.

Thanks Jay!