Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2004 nissan altima: jerk,vibrate, noise on cranking but runs fine

Customer Question

i have a 2004 nissan altima that jerk,vibrate, noise on cranking but runs fine when it is cranked
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Let me see if I understand your question. When you first start the car it shakes and vibrates and has a noise. But after you let it run, it will run fine till the car sits again?

Let me know, I am not sure I understand what the car is doing to properly assist you.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
like a clunking sound when the car about to crank before it actually cranks over
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
It makes this sound when first starting the car? Every time, or only after it has been sitting?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
after it has been sitting
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
I would remove the spark plugs after the car and has been sitting. Then check the cylinders for any type of fluid build up. Then depending on what you find. If you have gas, then it could be a leaking injector. If it's coolant, then it could be a bad head gasket.

The reason it makes noise is cause of the amount of liquid in the cylinder that needs to be pumped out.

I would have this checked and see if this is your problem. This is just a guess based on the information you have told me. Remember I am not there to inspect the car, and noises are very hard to determine over the net.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok and what if it does it all the time
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Well from what I described would be really bad if it's doing it all the time. I am thinking of it after the car sits. The pressure from the fuel system or the coolant system leaks down into the cylinder.

If it does it all the time, then it should be easy enough to see. Please keep in mind, cylinders are not ment to pump liquid. It can eventually bend a piston rod or a valve.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so does that diagnosis also include it jerking too, it jerk and also makes the sound
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Sure.. it may not run properly till the cylinders dry out. So it may jerk or run ruff.

Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thank you will keep you updated
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Ok, let me know.

Remember, this is just a guess based on your information you gave me. Remember I am not there to hear the noise to actually determine what the noise could be. This is not a common noise.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just checking back with you, i took out the spark plugs and they look normal but a day before i took out the spark plugs the check engine light came on with a P1273 code.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
What size engine do you have? 2.5 or 3.5?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2.5
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
That code is for the Air fuel Ratio sensor. The A/F sensor acts like a 02 sensor, and threads into the top part of the exhaust manifold above the catalytic converter. You may want to have the Catt converter inspected. If there is a problem found with the Catt, the part has a 8 year or 80k mile warranty.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you tell me how to diagnose all that and a picture of the locations and can that create the symptoms i decribed above
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
I don't think it will cause the noise you are hearing or the jerking. You will need a scan tool to monitor and check it's operation. It's located on the exhaust manifold towards the top.graphic

The code comes up when there is a sensor failure, or a harness issue. Sensor failure should be checked using a scanner.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so what will cause that
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Cause what, the code?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no the noise and the jerk
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
No this sensor will not cause a noise. It threads into the exhaust system to monitor exhaust gases. It can not cause the noise.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im not asking if the sensor will cause the noise, im asking what will cause the noise and jerk.........................
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
I had gone over it with you. Is there a way you can take a video of it and post it on You Tube so I can hear it. I am not there to hear the noise you keep talking about. Did you pull plugs and check to see if cylinders were wet after it has been sitting like l asked?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!